Clear all

Wiring Problem

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I replaced pickups on an Epi LP. I used Seymour Duncans that I had in another guitar and were working fine and dandy. The bridge position is working fine. The tones seem to be working fine. The Neck pickup is not funtioning properly. It only has about 10% volume, and only when the volume knob is between about 4 and 7. Higher and lower, it does not work.

I do have a spare 500k POT and I can replace it with if you think that might be the problem. The wire coming from the pickup is a braided wire, with a "hot" wire exposed in it. The hot wire gets soldered to the POT tab and the braided part itself gets soldered to the back of the POT. I'm wondering if I somehow damaged that wire. That type of wire is an unknown to me (used to each piece being rubber coated.)

Well, it anyone has any suggestions or thoughts, that'd be great. Thanks.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Braid wires are very often so thin that you can barely see them. Get a magnifying glass and see if one of them has strayed over to short onto the other wire.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Braid wires are very often so thin that you can barely see them. Get a magnifying glass and see if one of them has strayed over to short onto the other wire.

There was solder akmost at the point where the hot wire comes out of the braided. I'm not convinced that it's even clean there anymore. Can these wires be repaired?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I think we'd need some pics to get a better idea of the current condition

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well, I Googled this braided wire thing. Long story short, when I de-soldered the wire off the POT when removing from SG, some solder got into the are between the braid and hot wire. Clipped it off, the braided cover moved freely like it should have. Soldered it back on, plugger 'er in and it works like a champ. :)

Thanks for you help and clues and such. :D

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Cool .... so it's working now then. 8) I still want to see a pic of it.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yup, it's working fine and dandy. I put a picture on the other thread. Got it all set up and everything. A buddy of mine said he did the same wiring mistake thing on a $250,000 piece of equipment recently. :shock:

Roy

ReplyQuote