Clear all

Beginner/Intermediate Challenge: Amazing Grace in DADGAD

20 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter

One of the great things about recording yourself is how unbiased and forthright the recording is when it comes to pointing out your flaws ... well I had some obvious timing issues here (shoulda used my metronome!!!) and one or two gaffes, but overall I think I'm "getting there."

Anyway, as the title suggests, this is a DADGAD arrangement of Amazing Grace.

Let me know what you think.

Click DADGAD Grace

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

Posted : 02/09/2006 3:05 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Really good Mitch! Yes, the tempo could flow alittle better, but it still sounds nice. Great job using DADGAD. 8) :D Sounds beautiful. Keep at it.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 02/09/2006 2:50 pm
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks Dan!

Posted : 03/09/2006 12:09 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Slej,

First, let me say, I do not like the song Amazing Grace for some reason. (I know this sounds like blasphemy.) I never have, and in the last few years it has become so cliche at every funeral or solemn event that I have come to truly dislike the song. I have even said that if Amazing Grace is played at my funeral, I will come back and haunt someone. :lol:

In fact, there are a whole bunch of old-timey hymns I can't stand. The pastor at the church I used to attend loved those exact songs, and had one service a month of nothing but. Guess who ditched church on those days. :twisted:

HOWEVER, your version of AG is SO downright pretty, that, I really LIKE the song!!!

VERY nice! I'll even listen to that again. :D

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 03/09/2006 2:35 pm
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I have even said that if Amazing Grace is played at my funeral, I will come back and haunt someone. :lol:

LOL, too funny!

Thanks for the kind words!

Posted : 04/09/2006 12:55 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Mitch

I thought that was great. The timing wasn't perfect, but probably nobody would have even noticed if you hadn't mentioned it first. :D

A song doesn't always have to be perfect in timing with a metronome, there is such a thing as free time. What matters is if it flows, and this song flowed well.

It was a very nice arrangement and a good recording too.

I enjoyed that very much.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 04/09/2006 5:59 pm
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Many thanks, Wes.

As to the recording, it's pretty remarkable what you can do with a couple of cheap mics (in this case, free) and some recording software (also free.) :D

Posted : 04/09/2006 9:13 pm
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Nice job. I don't have a problem with the tempo at all. It flowed nicely. Not everything has to be a strict 4/4.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

Posted : 04/09/2006 9:53 pm
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

I think it sounds really nice .... pretty impressive fingerstyle.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

Posted : 04/09/2006 9:55 pm
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Very nice job! The recording quality is excellent - you can really hear the guitar chime! Let's hear some more!

Posted : 04/09/2006 11:07 pm
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Hey you guys are too kind!

:D

Posted : 05/09/2006 1:54 pm
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member

Really nice! I like the arrangement and I'm going to try to suss it out so I can play it myself. I like the free tempo too. If I have a quibble it's with the phrasing where the end of each verse works into the play out ("now I SEE" into "bum-bum-bum-bum). That's a pretty minor quibble, though, and its one that's more a matter of personal preference than anything that's actually wrong. I really like the feel of the performance, you're playing with a nice voice there.

Posted : 05/09/2006 10:33 pm
(@nottheguy)
Estimable Member

Great job - sounds so open and clear - awesome - I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!

Its a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself.

Posted : 06/09/2006 1:05 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Sounds mighty pretty to me :D As far as I'm concerned , if all music was perfect, it would be BORING--the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 06/09/2006 3:28 am
(@margaret)
Noble Member

smokindog wrote: As far as I'm concerned , if all music was perfect, it would be BORING

Yep. It would sound like MIDI files....somewhat useful maybe, but not very inspirational. :(

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 06/09/2006 3:50 am
Page 1 / 2