(@clau20)
Reputable Member

Hey, Claudine, I have a request.
Brown-Eyed Girl
Could you play that for us?
Here's a link on how to play it.
http://www.guitarguy.tv/video/how-to-play-guitar-van-morrison/browneyedgirl.php

It's on my list of songs to learn.

Just curious, what are your other songs to learn?

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

Posted : 25/11/2007 2:27 am
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I'm old school, Claudine.

I love "Comfortably Numb"
I like Creedence Clearwater Revival
Most (Classic) Rock songs
Gordon Lightfoot songs like "Sundown" or "Rainy Day People"
"Stairway to Heaven"
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
"Lucky Man" Emerson, Lake & Palmer
"Fire & Rain" James Taylor
"Solitary Man" Neil Diamond
"Dust in the Wind" Kansas
Some Jimmy Buffet (hey I'm from Miami . . . Key West is right down the road)
Have you ever heard Joan Baez's "Diamonds and Rust"? A hauntingly beautiful song... the best. It's about Bob Dylan.
My all time favorite is "Blue Sky" by the Allman Brothers (talk about a guitar player! Duane Allman ranks up there with Eric Clapton)
Eric Clapton's "White Room" "Strange Brew"
REM's "Losing My Religion"
Dire Straits "Sultans of Swing" "Walk of Life"
Some Dolly Parton songs
"Norwegian Wood"
"Hotel California"
"Sweet Child of Mine"
"Knockin' on Heaven's Door"
"Freebird" Lynyrd Skynyrd
Some Willie Nelson songs
"Sound of Silence" Simon and Garfunkel
I could go on.

But I thought Brown-Eyed Girl would be something that you would enjoy too. It's a fun song . . . to dance to. . . to sing to. . . and I imagine to play.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 25/11/2007 3:17 am
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

Free bird! I'd like to learn that solo!

I looked at the lesson you gave me and I got the song pretty well for the first day. Still have to practice certain part (when the D7 chord is play...). It's a nice intro by the way :) Fun to play

Don't know if you like Metallica, but I'm learning Nothing Else Matters and it's a very nice guitar song! You should look at it when you'll be comfortable with fingerpicking (if you're not already)

I thought it was my own

Posted : 25/11/2007 4:09 am
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I just downloaded the mp3 and listening to it now.
Beautiful intro . . . you're going to love playing the arpeggio.
Too bad you don't have drums and organ back up.
It's a great piece for a drummer too.

If you play that at the recital just remember:

"Never care for what they say. . . .
.... never care for what they do . . ." LOL

enjoy

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 25/11/2007 4:40 am
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

I practice Brown a girl a bit, try to film myself, but the camera went off...

No more battery.

And I was a bit disappointed by the results, so I'll wait a couple more days to upload a video :wink:

Maybe I'm going to upload a part of the Metallica song before. I feel more comfortable with it at that time

I thought it was my own

Posted : 27/11/2007 12:31 am
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Now we have a sticky, I'm getting all camera shy ;)

Anyway, I'm working on a song at the moment THAT HAS BARRE CHORDS IN IT.

Witchcraft, I tell you.

And if I can't do it, you'll just have to put up with me repeating the intro over and over and over ;)

It's fingerpicking as well.

Posted : 27/11/2007 5:28 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Witchcraft, I tell you.
I think I want to avoid barre chords for now. That will be another mountain to climb some day.
Meanwhile the mountain range of finger picking, slides, hammer-ons, Travis picking, accuracy with speed, strumming and brain-to-finger miscommunications is more than enough to cope with.

Never met a barre chord I liked,
Future minstrel :mrgreen:

Posted : 27/11/2007 7:38 pm
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hey you guys...

C'mon - where's the spirit? Let's crack those barre chords and show the world what we're made of... :roll:

Barre On!

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 28/11/2007 2:25 pm
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

C'mon - where's the spirit? Let's crack those barre chords and show the world what we're made of... :roll:

Yeah but :(

Posted : 28/11/2007 4:34 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Now we have a sticky, I'm getting all camera shy ;)

Witchcraft, I tell you.

And if I can't do it, you'll just have to put up with me repeating the intro over and over and over ;)

It's fingerpicking as well.

Isabelle. barre chords are easier if the thumb has proper placement. this is my old rant. the thumb should point to the headstock and be centered on the middle of the guitar neck. this way you have the best advantage of pressure with your fingers on the strings.
let's say you are hitchhiking. your thumb is pointing out...like in hitch hiking. open your hand with the thumb still hitching a ride. place the guitar neck in your hand. notice how your thumb points toward he headstock and your fingers are to the right of the thumb. when you press with the fingers you can counter the pressure with the thumb. now it takes less pressure from the fingers to form and sound nice sounding chords. that thumb creates a fulcrum of sorts.
hope this helps.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 28/11/2007 5:45 pm
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hi dogbite

Yep, good advice on the best way to form barre cords etc, but it's just not that easy when you first start trying to play them, and then the frustration creeps in - I think that's the problem...

I've been practicing barre chords for about five weeks now, and taking note of all the help we're getting from the guys on GN, but I'm still finding them difficult to achieve, especially during a transition from open chords so you're getting nice clean open sounding Gs and Fs and Cs then....a horrible dull sounding barre..... :cry:

I think I've just about cracked it, but I still need a bit more strength and slight repositioning and I can miss a whole bar out of a song trying to form the barre correctly.

I will come - it has to - it's just a question of when..... :roll:

In six months time, maybe we'll all look back at this thread and have a good laugh... :lol:

Maybe...

Rock on!

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 29/11/2007 1:21 pm
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member

I'm old school, Claudine.

I love "Comfortably Numb"
I like Creedence Clearwater Revival
Most (Classic) Rock songs
Gordon Lightfoot songs like "Sundown" or "Rainy Day People"
"Stairway to Heaven"
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

Sorry I remember all too well a time when STH was the song played at Last Call EVERY NIGHT :mrgreen: .... have never been able to listen to it since :oops:

Dylan NICE JOB! And Ken I am very impressed by your first video.

I have just been way too busy .... hunting season is OVER which means I no longer have the first light of dawn all to myself :roll: and I am still WAY too tired at night to concentrate ....
But still playing .... Ken you should try Early Morning Rain if you like Gordon Lightfoot, I use alternate thumb picking and also mix up the D chord by sticking a finger down on the 2nd fret of the A string for the alternate....still get my fingers messed up from time to time but one day this will be a nice song :roll: .... you will definitely like Comfortably Numb, NO TAB to memorize, just strum the chords more or less .... and try that barre A (starting at 5th fret on the high E string) as a variation on the chorus when your ear is telling you to move up from D. ; )

Anybody learning any christmas carols? I will try to post Silent Night if I can, it is a super easy fingerpick and sounds good even played very s-l-o-w-l-y 8)

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

Posted : 29/11/2007 7:15 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I plan on posting Twelve Days of Christmas tonight.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 29/11/2007 8:25 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Man, this is a really cool thread :D I'm thinking of getting a webcam for about $50 . I can see this being very useful. Anyone have any suggestion on what to buy :?: I know NOTHING about this kind of thing. Can you record a video with sound(maybe through a mixer and good mic) with a webcam onto your hard drive :?: Like Will Smith said "I got to get me one of those" :lol:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 30/11/2007 4:42 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I'm with you, Dog. When I get better, I'm gonna have to make a run to the electronics store.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 30/11/2007 5:08 am
Page 12 / 73