1,082 Posts
81 Users
0 Likes
271 K Views
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Isabelle.... Are you trying to get me to visit Europe???? :wink:

Well if you do, make sure you let me know! I'll cover your excess baggage costs AND I'll even show you around sunny Berkshire. Of all places in Europe, lucky you... ;)

Posted : 01/01/2008 9:07 pm
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member

Yes I looked up those Hummingbirds, and got to the same conclusion... And of course that site Ken gave me doesn't ship to Europe (or maybe they do but I expect they'd charge a fortune).

Isabelle.... Are you trying to get me to visit Europe???? :wink:

Well, the best price I could find for ya's is on Ebay International - Usually U.S. sellers willing to ship to Europe, etc....

So, you could pick up a Guitar at U.S. prices and then tag on an extra $99.00 - $119.00 shipping cost.
That's still cheaper than buying in Europe.... And I would expect that the more expensive the guitar, the better the deal,
since Euopean prices seem to be about DOUBLE :shock:
(Add more for insurance)

Ken

Unfortunately Ken, it gets worse. :( We have two layers of tax that will be added when it gets here by our friends at HM Customs and Excise.

$249 guitar works out at £124.51 at today's exchange rate
we then have a standard duty rate between 3.2% and 3.7%, so let's say 3.5% for arguments sake which equates to a new figure of £128.89
Then we have VAT at 17.5% which gives us a final guitar price of £151.45

Add your shipping cost of about £50 onto it and we're getting pretty close to the UK price. :( I don't know if any warranties would be honoured over here either? I suspect not. I'm not trying to throw a wet teatowel over everything, but our government will get their money one way or another over here!

It might be more worthwhile on more expensive guitars though like you say.

Rob

If something's not worth doing it's worth forgetting about.
Epiphone Les Paul Std - Yamaha Pacifica 112XJ - Takamine EG340SC - Taylor Baby - Grainger Hammerhead 50 - Grainger Valve Five
http://www.youtube.com/yashicamatonline

Posted : 01/01/2008 9:48 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

It's cheaper to order from large continental European companies, like musik-produktiv.de and thomann.de. When I was in the UK I noticed how expensive everything was, it's much cheaper over here in the Netherlands. Many things are actually cheaper then the States.

Posted : 08/01/2008 5:36 pm
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Well you guys and gals

I've got my excuse - I'm not posting another video until I've mastered a seamless transition from A to an F barre chord - so we could be waiting a while. I'm also going to attempt to 'sing' along so it's a double whammy as I've got an allergy that's been affecting my throat for the last four months! :cry:

What are all your excuses?

I'm sure Isabelle has her hands full at the moment, not to mention a duff guitar, but it's very quiet...

Stella has been putting some stuff on the virtual busking thread and Yash crooning to a Clapton number but that's it....

Just thought i'd say hi to you all and that I'm still here....

Rock on - even in silence!

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 15/01/2008 8:57 am
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

No excuse for me so hang on to your hat.
I'm still working on Dust in the Wind intro and Stairway to Heaven intro but I'm going to play something from one of my lessons.
Got the shades, donned my hat, filed my fingernails and connected the vidcam.
Lights, camera, action . . . .

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee306/kenrogers2/?action=view&current=Video7.flv

Sorry about the spastic head swinging :oops: I was peeking through the bottom of the sunglasses to see.
This is truly humbling and Amazing(ly not) Grace(ful)

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 15/01/2008 10:58 pm
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member

Kenny that was very heartfelt :wink: don't knock yourself ... well I can see that videos have the ability to take the fun out of playing which is why most of us started in the 1st place - on the other hand - they are still good practice for that penultimate moment of playing in front of a real person or even persons plural. Should you ever actually feel like doing so.
So I totally understand the un-fun-ness of blowing the video take and losing 5 min of your life (again) but really - waiting to transition to a full-blown barre F like a pro is no excuse DYLAN :evil: I haven't posted a single song with an F chord YET.
I do play songs with the F chord BTW, just very quietly and secretly at the back of the house :roll: lol

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

Posted : 16/01/2008 3:46 am
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

My excuse:

I have to go to school now... The holidays are over..

I could make a video even if I go to school, but my electric guitar is at the music shop for a set-up since January 4th! :shock:

I should have it back Thursday

It was so hard to get back to acoustic... lol... My hand hurt a lot while playing on my acoustic, very different shape from by electric...

Also, I didn't learn any new songs... Just 1 solo. I practice improvisation on a 12 bar blues now, maybe I'll post something with that if I can get something good...

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

Posted : 16/01/2008 4:34 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Very nice, Ken. I had forgotten how pretty that clean tone sounded on those Ibanezes.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 16/01/2008 8:52 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Thanks Ken

Nice and clean and not burning a hole in the fretboard - you looked very relaxed and feelin' the groove like Stevie W 8)
Still practicing Stairway to Heaven eh? - Me too. I've given up on Dust in the Wind for the moment. I've found a real gem that I'm learning though and will impress you all in a few years' time... :roll:

I know, I know, I know Stella, but those damn barre's are a monkey on my back - If I can crack it then it will open up a whole new repertoire, although my namesake Bob wrote some memorable songs with simple open chords....

I guess it's just something I've got to do :? I might change my mind though...

Fear not, I'm practicing hard and should have something to laugh about in a couple of weeks.... :wink:

Nice to get this show back on the road.

Rock on!

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 16/01/2008 10:32 am
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Very nice, Ken. I had forgotten how pretty that clean tone sounded on those Ibanezes.
Yep, that's my new guitar. I love it. I posted some comments about it on the "I'm looking for . . " board.
In a nutshell, a lot easier to play than the strat.
Thanks for the shove, Dylan.
If I waited 'til I was ready to post a vid, you'd rarely get one from me.
And we got this thread going again.
The rest of you, don't quit on us. Show your progress (or lack thereof).
Especially the girls! :shock:

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 16/01/2008 2:07 pm
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

Hey Ken, I saw your video after posting my message, so here's my comment:

Nice guitar :wink:

And nice clean sound while playing your chords! Keep working and posting video :wink:

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

Posted : 16/01/2008 3:45 pm
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Yay! Well done Ken. That sounded pretty good AND you had your Dylan-style shades on, so bonus points for that.

My guitar is working again, so no excuse there. I have been playing again for the last two weeks (have I mentioned I'm pregnant too? Yes, yes, get the congratulations coming, despite the circumstances :D - so I've got to get lots of practice in before the bump's too big and I can no longer reach the strings :o ); I've been mainly pratising one particular song (an easy version of it anyway WITHOUT the barre chords. They just put me off, I don't know, I just CAN'T BARRE).

It's nowhere near perfect - and won't be for some time, not that it usually stops me posting vids... :lol: but I've been having trouble with photobucket as well recently, and had to use another site that I don't particularly like. And there's NO WAY I'm posting on youtube :|

So anyway. Soon, soon.

Posted : 16/01/2008 4:49 pm
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

(have I mentioned I'm pregnant too? Yes, yes, get the congratulations coming, despite the circumstances :D -

Congrats Isabelle - more child benefit = amp upgrade... way to go! :lol:

Rock on with sleepless nights!

D 8)

Posted : 16/01/2008 5:23 pm
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

HAHA - that made me laugh. Thanks DB ;)

Posted : 16/01/2008 5:25 pm
(@jenny-b)
Estimable Member

:D Well done Ken, good and accurate picking, you're doing great - I'd love to be able to pick like that, but me and plectrums don't get along too well.. kinda given up on it now so have to grow my fingernails instead :roll:
BIG congrats Isabelle! :D :D :D We look forward to your 3-piece band performing wah-wah songs :wink: .. :wink: There's a busker I see who sits cross legged and plays slide guitar with the guitar on his knees, and a funny pick-thing on his thumb..could be an option when the bump gets too big! :lol: ..btw, why not youtube? Is there something about it that I don't know? Worried now..

Posted : 16/01/2008 5:36 pm
Page 19 / 73