Clear all

Beginner's videos

1,082 Posts
81 Users
0 Likes
271 K Views
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

ahhhhhhhh, very nice. They look precious. Enjoy 'em as much as you can. :)

Oh, and you know you can't leave us hangin'. What kind, color, etc of Epi did you get?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 19/07/2008 9:36 am
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Thanks Roy - I hope you're feeling better.

So here's The Beast (well, it is a 'beast' to me anyway):

http://media.putfile.com/2008-07-Stand-By-Me

http://media.putfile.com/2008-07-bm

Not that you can see much of it anyway - but it's a Heritage Cherryburst Hummingbird (unfortunately, the Ebony finish is nowhere to be found in Europe). I'll get new strings for it today.

Posted : 19/07/2008 9:55 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

It's getting better. I played Melissa yesterday and it wasn't too bad. Still need to really give it a couple more days.

Nice guitar. Sounds good. Nice barres too. Learning barres on accoustic is double strength. Then 12-strings, but we won't go there. I wonder if it's how I hurt my wrist to begin with? :oops: :roll:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 19/07/2008 10:43 am
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Well, starting on a 12-string should have made everything else dead easy :lol:
Learning barres on accoustic is double strength.
Aaaah - you see, that's what I thought... But the action on my cheap e-guitar is at least three times as high as that on the Epi... (I did go for the cheapest one on Ebay, what did I expect?!), which probably explains (in part) why I've been struggling so much.

Posted : 19/07/2008 10:51 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I bought one of those cheapies as my first guitar. One of the department store deals. No idea what to get and there it was. The best I could ever get that darned thing playing anywhere decently was with 8 guage strings. I would have kept it, but the switches started going bad in it while a friend borrowed it. I was gonna open-tune it with heavy srings to learn slide, but I got it back with the 5 way almost not working, two out of three pots were flakey, strings needed changing and the cable hook-up piece was gone. MISSING. He offered to replace all that was wrong even before I knew of the things, but I declined stating that it wasn't worth it. I, in turn, marketed it as a cricket bat an got $50 out of it. :twisted:

Roy

Posted : 19/07/2008 11:23 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Sorry this is out of topic, but I can't resist. At Stella's request, pictures of the band:

Very cutes :D

Isabelle, that Hotel California sounds very, very good! You must practice the barres when you come from Em (did you play the F# in the first time?) but you got it! :D

Try to "slide" the hand along the fretboard, maintaining almost the posture in your hand. Perhaps it helps.

And Stand by me... do you already know it, doesn't? :wink:

Posted : 19/07/2008 2:38 pm
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hi all

Thanks for all your messages of encouragement - I'm quite flattered really. It's great to be able to play a song all the way through. It won't be so bad now if someone offers you a guitar at a party and says...go on, give us a tune... :wink:

And as for the smug smile at the end... hmmm, yes, does look a bit like that doesn't it Issy, but I thought I always looked a bit glum when playing, so this time I thought I'd lighten up a bit - it was only when I thought that Knockin' on Heaven's Door wasn't really a song to smile about, it was too late. :roll:

Love the pics of the kids Issy - you must be very proud. AND a new guitar - that's a beaut. I don't know enough about guitars but as a few folk have been fawning over it, I reckon it must be a good one - sounds superb too.

Anyways, I hope you had a smug smile on your face when you played Hotel California using barres - I would...no...I do play the easier non-barre version - well done. The transitions are a real pain aren't they....

Give me an F....give me a G....give me another F...what have you got?
Haven't a bloody clue - sounds nothing like that on the record... :lol:

Rock on!

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 19/07/2008 4:37 pm
(@simonsays)
Estimable Member

Hey Isabelle!

What a couple of cuties you have there :D Thanks for posting those pics

Also congrats on the new guitar, looking and sounding great.

Great work on the barres, they're sounding really good. As you've probably worked out the 'crux' chord change in Hotel California is moving from the Em back into the F#. Try playing the Em with your 4th and 5th fingers instead of 2nd and 3rd, then when the change comes up you just have to slide those two fingers up a fret and drop the third finger down onto the G string and the first finger falls into the barre position. (Its easier to do than to explain)

Cheers,
Simon

There are too many songs that have an 'F' chord in them.

Posted : 19/07/2008 7:48 pm
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Like this you mean? Thanks for the tip :)

http://media.putfile.com/hc2-25

Just ignore the end bit :oops: I'll keep working on it. Day-by-day progress on Hotel California. How exciting :roll: :mrgreen:

Posted : 20/07/2008 11:19 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hi Isabelle

That's superb..... :evil: how can you possibly get so good at barre chords with a young family to look after..... :roll:

I'm definitely on 'catch up' now, as you'll probably find that the more you play those chords the easier and easier they'll get until they're second nature.... Ok, Em....F...Grrrrrrr.......Em.....G.....Grrrrrrrr

Rock on! Well, sorta!

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 20/07/2008 1:57 pm
(@simonsays)
Estimable Member

Like this you mean? Thanks for the tip :)

http://media.putfile.com/hc2-25

Just ignore the end bit :oops: I'll keep working on it. Day-by-day progress on Hotel California. How exciting :roll: :mrgreen:
Yup, you've got it :D sounding great!

There's lots of really cool things you can do with this song, try substituting a measure of A with an Asus2 instead (D and G strings fretted at the second fret). It really 'opens' the sound out.

Cheers,
Simon

Posted : 20/07/2008 4:10 pm
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

And when in doubt, pick random strings.

Go on, knock yourself out.

http://media.putfile.com/HCfp1

Posted : 22/07/2008 8:03 pm
(@simonsays)
Estimable Member

And when in doubt, pick random strings.

Go on, knock yourself out.

http://media.putfile.com/HCfp1
Making music there.... Sounding good.

Now click on this link and pick up your guitar. Your cue to come in is at 1minute 18 seconds :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkD-Mrg1BOQ

Cheers,
Simon

Posted : 24/07/2008 4:39 am
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Ok Simon. You get started on the intro :mrgreen:

Posted : 24/07/2008 11:24 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Isabelle! That's very good!

Très bien! :D

Posted : 24/07/2008 11:41 am