Beginner's videos

1,082 Posts
81 Users
0 Likes
270.9 K Views
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Thank you very much guys! I was listening the videos again and there are lots of noises! :oops:

David, you and your book are doing I can sound in that way. :D

Concerning the 'cartoon effect', I guess it is the YouTube compression/conversion although the software I use it is not the best one. Does anybody use Apple? What software do you use for recording? iMovie? I'm not get used to manage video in Apple computers.

Posted : 12/04/2009 12:43 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Nuno, when I used a Mac, I first recorded it on a DV camera and then I used Final Cut Pro to do the editing, but the only reason I had that high end of an editor was because of my commerical editing business

iMovie is generally fine and works great for what you are doing with it.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 12/04/2009 4:41 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Nuno, the video clip looks fine to me!

Nice playing - you look as if you're totally comfortable and you're in command of the instrument. I don't know the song, but it seems like you've got it mastered!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 12/04/2009 4:49 pm
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

umm.. ive been playing guitar about a year.. self taught.. it has a lot of mistakes

Hey hanbae - that's what being a beginner is all about... welcome to the club.. :wink: Unfortunately some of us are going to have to find some other excuses pretty quickly.

I thought your video was great. I don't know the song but I will listen to the original sometime, but for now I'll remember your version. Yup pretty difficult to cover but you done good, and as Isabelle says, you definitely win the prize for the best rocker in beginners videos....

Well done, look forward to the next vid, and... welcome!

Rock on!
D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 12/04/2009 8:58 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Thank you guys! Basically the problem is as follows. I have two Mac: an old PowerBook with the iMovie and the rest of the iLife software that I use at home (it also has installed Cubase and the rest of the software that I use for recordings) and a new MacBook with an integrated iSight camera.

When I installed Leopard (the new OS) in the MacBook I did it from scratch and the OS's that you buy in a box do not include the iLife. Now it is only available the PhotoBooth, a very basic recording software. I also have an old external iSight but it is in my office. I'll try to use it in the old Mac the next week.

Vic, you said it! I'm totally comfortable with the bass, it is different with the guitars. Perhaps it is easier or perhaps it is the 'six months more' with an instrument but I can do things with the bass that I don't know how to do it with a guitar. Perhaps I should remove the two thinnest strings in my guitars! :lol:

I'm not sure I think John McVie did it... anyway, McVie or another great bass player.

The song is just a blues progression in A based on an instruction book's progression, which is based on a Cream song, Strange Brew.

Posted : 12/04/2009 9:04 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I had to peek at the video. it is good to see the person I am jamming with.
good playing. you have nice long fingers for that bass.
the sound was excellent. very good technique.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 13/04/2009 4:50 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Thank you very much my friend!

Posted : 13/04/2009 7:38 pm
(@hanbbae)
Eminent Member

haha thanks guys :D
here is my new video..
cover of the Offsprings.. The Kids Aren't Alright
( i dont strum the chorus like the offpsrings) preference.. i also butcher the solo :oops: ( i can usually get it right ) grrr
i also mumble the line "the kids are grown up but their lives are worn" because i couldnt remember it fast enough.. lol
I need some pointers on my singing and guitar playing.. if any come to mind feel free.. i dont mind criticism
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksWLIMdjF0g
Oh yea.. if you guys are wondering why I have 2 good guitars when ive only been self taught and playing for a year.. its because my cousin gave me his old guitars he used to play when he was in a band.. the Ibenez is still his though. but not complaining.. lol I wish he would have taught me how to play the guitar instead of throwing the guitars on me.. but it seems to have worked in the end

Posted : 15/04/2009 11:58 pm
(@roundi)
Estimable Member

What a fun and inspiring thread.

I have been quietly keeping an eye on you in the couple months since I initially posted here. Kudos to all the new posters!! My employer just aquired a fancy pants video camera and guess who is the the "Keeper of the Cam" Thats right, me. I have recently been working on two things one of Dave H's lessons "Sittin on the Dock of the Bay" and "Brown Sugar" which I found in the Easy Songs for Beginners thread (from Wes I I think). I don't tune to open G for it though so I just use strings 2-4 and it is fun. So I am thinking to try one of those first first.

Unfortunatly, well not really but I am going on vacation to Georgia for a week & leaving in a couple of days so time is limited. I will smuggle the camera home tonight and see what develops(Ha! see what develops, sometimes I really am funny) Any advice on Georgia?

So it is do it tonight or in a couple of weeks time.

What video hosting sites do you recommend? youtube and photobucket are the ones I seem to see here.

Thanks again to all the video posters in this thread it is great to see others dealing with the same issues (barre chords).

Posted : 16/04/2009 1:56 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hanbbae: Cool guitar! 8)

RoundI: Some of us use YouTube, Ken uses PhotoBucket and he like it, I used PhotoBucket for pictures... :)

Posted : 16/04/2009 3:05 pm
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

I need some pointers on my singing and guitar playing.. if any come to mind feel free.. i dont mind criticism

Man, you do choose some difficult piece to cover don't you.... whatever happened to good ole Horse with No Name... :roll:

I think you're doing great, but maybe trying to run before you can walk. This is just my opinion ok, and other's will have their, but if you're going to attempt these sorts of songs solo, I reckon you should think about using a backing track. There's some pretty cool ones available and it will help with your timing and flesh everything out a bit.

Playing that sort of lead and singing doesn't really work without backing - I mean, it's great to listen to and BIG kudos, but just doesn't work (for my ears anyways).

I think the singing and playing is a natural progression and will come more naturally the more you do it. Just keep at it, but try to keep the timing in the music first - if the singing distracts you, then don't! Just play and add some fillers.

So, think about backing tracks.... You're doing great. Get yourself in a band.

Keep Rockin On!
D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 17/04/2009 7:47 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

What video hosting sites do you recommend? youtube and photobucket are the ones I seem to see here.

Hi RoundI - I use Photobucket and YouTube - all depends on who you want to see your stuff I suppose. For general consumption I use YouTube and for target audiences :roll: I use Photobucket..

Looking forward to the video.

Rock on!
D 8)

Posted : 17/04/2009 8:01 am
(@roundi)
Estimable Member

Well I took the camera home, set it up got into position and started to play. My plan was to just leave it on and play for a while until I got a good minute or two. Well it turns out the battery was near dead & I didn't bring the charger home with me. :x . Sometimes I amaze myself with my thoughtlessness. So in an act of desperation I dug around and got a little digicam and tried to use it. Well it only takes 30-60 sec of video at a time (this I learned after an hour or so of trying to play in front of it).

It is harder to play in front of the camera. All and all a very frustrating evening. GRRR!!

Posted : 17/04/2009 10:36 am
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

So, think about backing tracks....
Speaking of backing tracks, Dylan . . . do you have a link to where you got the backing track for Heroes?

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 17/04/2009 11:52 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Well I took the camera home, set it up got into position and started to play. My plan was to just leave it on and play for a while until I got a good minute or two. Well it turns out the battery was near dead & I didn't bring the charger home with me. :x . Sometimes I amaze myself with my thoughtlessness. So in an act of desperation I dug around and got a little digicam and tried to use it. Well it only takes 30-60 sec of video at a time (this I learned after an hour or so of trying to play in front of it).

Absolutely pathetic.. If you can't come up with a better excuse than that, then it's 'off with your head'.. :roll:

Only kiddin...

Backing tracks... try this one. I've only tried a couple but they're nicely put together:

http://www.guitarbt.com/index.php?page=dl_list

Rock on!
D 8)

Posted : 17/04/2009 3:32 pm
Page 60 / 73