Beginner's videos

1,082 Posts
81 Users
0 Likes
270.9 K Views
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hi Daven

That was great. And singing... :shock: I think we all know how tricky it is to play and sing at the same time so that's brilliant to be doing that after just two months, and you'll now find it easier to do from now on...

Excellent first video - I would be proud of that! What's next?

Rock on!
D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 10/04/2009 8:27 am
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

For just two months playing that is darn good.
I remember where I was at two months . . . and I know I couldn't have done the chord changes as well as you.
And me trying to sing while doing the chord changes and fretting the chords? . . . forget about it.

Good job, Dave

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 10/04/2009 12:13 pm
(@daven)
Estimable Member

Thanks, bkangel. Dylan, & kr2, the strumming seemed to come easy at least until I muck something up so bad I totally lose it. Chord changes are coming along and singing, well I've always liked to sing and with a song I enjoy I just find it easier to sing than not sing. What's next? Well Dylan, I'm thinking either
Elvis' "Put your sweet lips a little closer to the phone"
but that feels like it needs the intro and the lead solo (and those are beyond me right now :? ) I might go with it anyway.
Buck Owens "Crying Time"
works well with a simple finger picking pattern if I can get the chord changes without losing the rythm.
"Mama's don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys" by Ed & Patsy Bruce, finger picking
or, a version of Amazing Grace I found that I really like but I need to work on D to Bm chord change and it has a real fast Bm-D-A-G-D sequence I'm fighting with.
How about you Dylan, what's next. I watched your last one, good scales and thats a very nice guitar! :)

Posted : 10/04/2009 12:50 pm
(@hanbbae)
Eminent Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kRQwp1I7Io
cover version of scars by papa roach..
umm.. ive been playing guitar about a year.. self taught.. it has a lot of mistakes
any comments would be appreciated
(first time playing and singinga the same time.. thankfully i heard hte song enough for me to push through it.. i thought i was gonna die because i couldnt keep track of my strumming)

Posted : 11/04/2009 3:16 am
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Dylan! Look at that beauty! Now I have a request - with the next vid, can we have the full goth look to go with it? 8)
I don't know what the problem is with putfile - I don't like that site much I have to say, I can't even watch my own vids on it, but I seem to be having problems uploading vids onto photobucket. I'll try maybe with a different account.

KR2 - wah wah waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah - great effect, not sure it suits DITW very well though, but it certainly takes the monotony out of it when you play it all the time (I'm another one who uses that song as a finger-warmer). I wish I had all those funky guizmos on my amp. All I have is an on/off button ;] I haven't touched the electric for a while anyway. SO IN LOVE with my accoustic. Unbelievable.

daven I'm impressed. You look very comfortable singing/playing, the chord changes are very smooth... I can't wait for the next vid!

hanbbae - welcome. You definitely win the prize of the beginner rocker of the thread!

Posted : 11/04/2009 8:00 am
(@davidhodge)

Hey Hanbbae

Actually the object is to having the strumming down to the point where it's automatic and that you don't have to keep track of it. You'll get there!

Mistakes notwithstanding, you do a good job of holding the overall rhythm together for the most part. The only part where it's obviously going wonky is when you switch over to the sixteenth notes (around the 2:50 minute mark, I think).

There's a lot going on with this song and you manage to keep a lot of it together. Obviously more practice is going to be needed, but you're heading in the right direction. Good work!

One thing that you also want to keep in mind as a goal is that you want to be able to be comfortable enough with playing so that you can look at your audience when your singing (as opposed to the neck of your guitar). With a song like this, that's going to take a lot of work, so you might want to consider a few easier ones that you can use to practice that particular aspect of playing / singing.

Nice job here. Looking forward to more.

Peace

Posted : 11/04/2009 8:01 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Wow, nice to see a couple new videos on here from some newcomers.

They are looking great! Keep up the good work!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 11/04/2009 9:11 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

umm.. ive been playing guitar about a year.. self taught.. it has a lot of mistakes
:shock:

That was pretty cool! Your singing is very good, you should memorize the lyrics but I think you keep the intonation perfectly. Your guitar tone is very good, too.

Keep posting!

Posted : 11/04/2009 9:52 am
(@hanbbae)
Eminent Member

thanks guys..
mm.. ill try to keep the tips in mind.. i was gonna try swing life away by rise against.. but i dont have an acoustic.. do you think itd be horrible with an electic unplugged? i think my gibson makes a lot of sound anyways .. lol.. just a question

Posted : 11/04/2009 1:00 pm
(@davidhodge)

Just use the electic with as clean a setting as you can get. That should be fine.

Looking forward to more.

Peace

Posted : 11/04/2009 1:07 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

The video has many mistakes but the biggest is that I'm not lefty! Really I don't know what I did, I don't remember if I changed an option on the recording software. I recorded several videos this afternoon but I didn't realize they was mirrored until I uploaded them.

The initial idea was to record the bass line of an entire song but I'm using the software Photo Booth in the Mac with the camera and it does not record the sound if the file is greater than 1 minute. Tomorrow I'll try to fix it as well.

Anyway, my apologies because I had to record and upload a video several months ago. Ladies and Gentlemen, my first video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6W54lY4hOY

Posted : 11/04/2009 9:19 pm
(@hanbbae)
Eminent Member

that sounds awsomeeeeeeee.. thats one of the few times ive heard a fun sounding bass part :D

Posted : 11/04/2009 9:56 pm
(@davidhodge)

Well done, sir! Very steady beat and solid tone. Hopefully this will be the first of many, many, many more!

Don't know if it was just my computer, but when your hand shifted positions it was a blur like the Roadrunner cartoons. Very cool!

Peace

Posted : 11/04/2009 10:01 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Very well done Nuno! Enjoyed listening to those snippets of Bass work!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 11/04/2009 11:53 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Way cool, Nuno . . . I'm feeling it . . . no wonder why you like to play bass. :D

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 12/04/2009 12:43 am
Page 59 / 73