Clear all

Blues Recording Demo

14 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Hey everyone, I've been a member of the forums here for a while, and I have really enjoyed listening to a lot of you all's songs on this particular board...but as I don't think of myself as too much of a critic and I never had any recording setup of my own, I haven't posted on this board before. But that's all about to change! I'm still don't think of myself as much of a critic...so that leaves me finally getting a recording setup...yay!!! Anywho, I wrote this short little blues riff/mini-solo to test the waters both of my new recording system and this part of the guitarnoise forum. So any comments/criticisms/advice would be appreciated. Also, I'm using my new Digitech GNX3000 and the Pro Tracks Plus software that came with it to record this. So if anyone out there was looking for a little demo of the GNX3000 (especially it's awesome drum-machine, which makes an appearance in the clip), feel free to give this a listen...as long as you promise not to take my less-than-polished playing as no fault of the GNX3000 :wink: So with out further ado, here's the link:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=536526

Enjoy, and thanks for any advice on recording or playing, in advance.

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

Posted : 30/06/2006 6:31 am
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member

Jason thats the great thing about the blues, unpolished works :)

That was very good, sounded great I love blues music and when I was listening I was sorry it was so short, great job!

Scott

I havn't found my tone yet, and I have no mojo....but I'm working on it :)

Posted : 30/06/2006 1:42 pm
(@geek-in-the-pink)
Estimable Member

That sounds really good! 8) I really liked all the blues licks...

-Alex

Posted : 30/06/2006 3:33 pm
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

that was pretty sweet, sounds good.

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

Posted : 30/06/2006 4:00 pm
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member

Sounded great! only criticism is it wasn't long enough. Did you buy that software from the net or purchase it at a store? I just wonder sometimes if better software could make up for the fact that I don't use a mixer and have a cheap mic

Posted : 30/06/2006 4:05 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Sounds great Jason! You should do more. Keep it up!

8) Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 30/06/2006 9:44 pm
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the comments everyone! And jonetone, I got the software (called Pro Tracks) with the Digitech GNX3000...it's make by the same company that makes Cakewalk...I'm really enjoying so far. Though I think the fact that I run everything through the GNX3000 first helps a lot. The GNX sends the signal to my computer as MIDI...I used to use Audacity and just run the output on my amp into the sound cart on my computer and it just never sounded quite right.

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted : 30/06/2006 10:00 pm
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member

Ah, came with the package, thanks

Posted : 01/07/2006 4:51 am
(@legacyriff)

Jason, if you still own the GNX, could you elaborate on your experience with it?
I'm planning to buy either the GNX3000 or the Pod XT LIVE and I'd like to have a REAL user opinion rather than Line6 or Digitech hype...

Thanks for any info on the subject.

Posted : 18/12/2006 1:46 am
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Great stuff! Waaaay too short! :lol:

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 18/12/2006 4:23 am
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Leo,
I have been loving every minute of it. The tones and user interface just great. The software that it comes with for making your own tones is also really fun and easy to use. The one drawback that I would have to mention is the recording. More specifically the recording software, ProTracks, that it comes with. The program has lots of functionality, and the quality is decent, but it's definitely not the easiest program that I've ever tried to use. The documentation is less than complete, and figuring out how to do some things with it took a long time for me. However, in the end, I got it to work out, and now I've been enjoying playing around with recording stuff. Once you figure it out, it really is quite handy. I think I'm going to post another song I recorded here soon (a version of Silver Bells that I arranged for this Christmas), so you can check that and my few other recording to get a sense of at least what I've been able to do with it in the course of the 6 months or so that I've had it. Hope this helps!

Margaret,
Thanks! I'm hoping to put together an actual blues arrangement here soon that will be a bit longer. Should be fun!

-Jason

Posted : 18/12/2006 6:18 pm
(@legacyriff)

Thanks a lot for your input Jason, much appreciated. It's hard to make a choice when the only thing you have to rely are Line6 and Digitech ads!
BTW My real name is John

The "Leo" thing is a tribute to Leo Fender, I think I'll modify my signature LOL

Again thanks for taking the time to answer my question.
When it's convenient to you could you also give me your thougts about the GNX drum machine, I.E. : ease of use, how does it sounds for real etc!
But don't rush, this is the holiday season and I understand that everybody's kind of busy!

Merry Christmas to you and family!

-John

P.S. Same message send as PM

Posted : 18/12/2006 10:15 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Wow, that was great!

That was all the GNX3000. Hmmm, I've been eyeballing that but haven't told my V-amp2 about it yet. :wink:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 18/12/2006 11:46 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

So... How bout a full length jam? Or you could participate in a Guitar noise Jam :D --ken

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 19/12/2006 3:28 am