Clear all

Classical Destruction - Orlando Sleepeth

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Well, here's another attempt at a John Dowland tune.

I think this turned out really well. I'm trying to not listen to the music before I play it, but I had to figure out the pacing of the 6/4 time before recording this. Time signatures are something that I'm getting used to.

http://www.youtube.com/learningclassical#p/a/0/m2cmSGmz7pY

I hope that it's somewhat correct. Those that are more versed in classical music can let me know. I'm really staring to recognize patterns and such. This piece I only practiced for about 3 hours before I felt like I could get a decent recording of it.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 26/10/2009 5:01 pm
(@alangreen)

In the first two bars, which are in 4/4 in my copy of the score, you stretch out the last quarter notes for as long as a doted half note so you're in 6/4 time right from the start. In bar 3 you're bang on the 4/4 rhythm and then you switch back to 6/4 straight away. Try those first few bars as

(1) Dummmm - de - dum - dum - (2) dum- de - de - dum- dum (3) dummmmm - de - de - de - de - de - if that makes sense

The dotted quarter note - eighth note - quarter note - quarter note pattern comes up a heck of a lot in Renaissance music. You'll see it so many times you'll be able to play it in your sleep before you know it.

It actually sounds fine and most people you play it to won't care much about the timing just yet, and I really like the "Classical Destruction" banner. Keep plugging away there

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 26/10/2009 5:50 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks! I'll give a listen to the CD that came with the book for everything, and try to see where my timing mistakes are. I knew I had sat on notes a bit too long, but wasn't sure where they were cause it sounded okay, but not quite right. Does that make any sense?

Thanks again!

Posted : 26/10/2009 6:00 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

thats another good video Joe!!
everytime i watch one of your videos i am impressed, but they do make me feel a tad guilty about my own fingerpicking as i have never really worked on it, even though it is a style of playing i would love on day to be able to do :oops:

keep 'em comming!!!
oh, and i am a bit of a secret sting fan. the only album of his i havent got is his "songs from the laberynth" with the john dowland songs on it - i must pick that up soon.

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 26/10/2009 6:27 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks Almann! You'll get the fingerpicking eventually...just takes time away from other ventures.

As far as Sting goes, I may check it out, but I'm not too big on the vocals of Dowland's stuff, just his lute work transcribed for guitar.

Alan: I checked my version against the Cd and I see where my timing issues are. Thanks for pointing them out, I'm going to try and re-record that one to get it more accurate.

Posted : 27/10/2009 7:07 am
(@alangreen)

For excellent John Dowland - check out Julian Bream

One final pointer - set your metronome to click the half-beat. In the 4/4 section that will cover you for two quarter notes, and in the 6/4 section it will become three quarter notes; keeping the overall tempo the same. If I can get on top of it myself today I'll post some audio. Catch ya later

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 27/10/2009 9:01 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Looks like I'm going to have to get myself a metronome, or download one :lol: :lol:

I've never used one before...imagine that! :oops:

Posted : 27/10/2009 9:03 am