Cover: Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@one_four_five)
Topic starter

Hi all,

Since this is my first post, i'll introduce myself first:

I'm a 21 year old student from Holland who decided to pick up an acoustic guitar about a year ago and wow...did i fall in love! I play at leat a couple of hours per day and often more (being a student rocks! :D). Since a few months i'm taking lessons too, so i'm progressing pretty well.

I recently decided i want to learn to sing aswell (if you would have told me this 2 years ago i would have laughed really hard!). Problem is that i'm not a natural singer, but my guitar teacher is also a vocal teacher, so i hope with a lot of practice i'll be able to produce something that is at least bearable to listen to.

About my cover of Wish you were here: I learned David's version and i love to play it, because it's such a beatiful song. I tuned my guitar a half step down because the vocals are pretty high for me. Even a half step down is still a bit too high (a few parts are definitely out of tune...i just hope the rest isn't....), but a full step down doesn't sound well on my guitar and detunes by only looking at it. In the interlude i improvised a solo in the G major pentatonic scale. Everything is recorded with a crappy computer mic so the quality isn't great. The only effect that i added is some reverb to the vocals.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=469644

Please be critical, i know some parts are really out of tune and the timing isn't great either, but i love to have some advice on how to do it better!

Posted : 16/01/2006 2:36 pm
(@one_four_five)
Topic starter

Woow...i just listened to it again and the vocals are really out of tune most of the time! :oops:

I think that recording this song almost the entire afternoon made my ears (comfortably ;) ) numb or something...and i just wanted some feedback so i posted it here without listening to is properly...

Anyway i'm gonna leave it as is, hopefully someone can give me some advice on how to do it better...i already know this song is to high for me (even a half step lower), maybe i'll try it a full step lower, or maybe i'll just try a different song...

Posted : 16/01/2006 5:27 pm
(@banre)
Reputable Member

I liked it! To be sure, there were some problems (not hugely major, at least not to my ears), but you did a great job, especially considering you are just starting to try to sing. Keep practicing and I bet you can revisit this song in a few months and really hear the difference.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

Posted : 16/01/2006 6:00 pm