Hue's Jam by Hueseph

Beware Of Your Dreams by Celt

Chuckster's Jam by Chuckster

Kalle's Jam by Kalle in Sweden

Dan T.'s Jam by Dan T.

A Campaign Song by Smokindog

TRGuitar & Thunderfingers' Jam by TRGuitar & Thunderfingers

Vic's Jam by Vic Lewis

*Disclaimer - Not responsible for injuries incurred from excessive headbanging! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 18/06/2007 12:24 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Sounds really cool ... all of them! Interesting to hear other peoples ideas on what to play over this track.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 18/06/2007 12:59 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

25+ views and I'm the only one with something to say? These people worked hard on these things. :x Well, I'm sure some did. We did ours in one take purely improvised, but we had our hearts in it. :? Well, I don't mind saying Well Done Everyone!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 19/06/2007 1:26 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

TRGuitar is right, alot of time & creativity went into each person's own jam. Some feedback would probably go along way. I for one think everyone did an awesome job. All different styles & playing abilities represented here. It's not really metal either, it's more like hard rock. Anyways, thanks to everyone who participated in my jam, and I think you all did awesome! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 19/06/2007 1:41 am
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Well I have to appologize. I feel like mine was a cop out. And to an extent it was. I fudged it. I sped it up. I mangled it. I couldn't find anything melodic to work with it in my head. Unfortunately this is what came out. I've been a lot off as far as music is concerned lately. I just can't seem to focus. :oops: :(

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

Posted : 19/06/2007 6:32 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

25+ views and I'm the only one with something to say? These people worked hard on these things. :x Well, I'm sure some did. We did ours in one take purely improvised, but we had our hearts in it. :? Well, I don't mind saying Well Done Everyone!

I just saw this post myself, I think its just taking a day or two for most viewers to listen to all the tracks :wink:
I'll go listen now and get back in a day or two...I'm getting my face melted by OWA just now :D :twisted:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 19/06/2007 6:38 am
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Sorry alot of them were probably me listening to them at work , before I replied with a post ..

Such contrasting sounds from all you guys

Thanks for shareing guys

Great stuff

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 19/06/2007 7:12 am
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Give me some time to listen to them all so I can hopefully say something sane. But from what I heared so far I'm impressed!

Posted : 19/06/2007 9:49 am
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

it's 6:30 a.m. here and now i'm wide awake! they all sound great!

Posted : 19/06/2007 10:38 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I just stood up this morning and the coffee is hot.
now my ears are burning from what you got.
nice jamming. all the tunes are flying.
you done good. I ain't lying.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 19/06/2007 11:40 am
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Sorry for not responding earlier I wanted to listen to them all
before posting.

OWA - Nice use of effects and whammy bar.
The part between about 1:05 - 1:15 I found impressive.

Hue - Great slide! Very unexpected for this jam. I like it!

Celt - What the heck was I thinking! Oh Well it was fun.

Chuckster - I like the fact that you left some space and
didn't overplay. Good Job!

Kalle - Great Mix! On first listen I thought it was just the original
backing track. Then I remembered to listen for the Bass. Cool!

Dan - My personal favorite. Great Job!

Dog - Love the Bass and the guitar has an almost Arabic feel to it.
I've always been a fan of Poe. Very Cool!

TR & Thunder - Great Guitar all the way through. I think the vocals
could be moved up in the mix. Still a Good Listen!

Vic - Great Tone. Sounds like Big Brother and The Holding Company
meets Black Sabbath. Good Show!

Thanks For Hosting Dan.

Happy Jamming

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

Posted : 19/06/2007 12:57 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I still may be working on a part and I jumped in here and realized, "I don't want to be influenced so I'm not listening yet." :wink:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 19/06/2007 1:06 pm
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Just listened to them all and have to say that the standard is pretty high IMHO.

Here goes then:

OWA - Some interesting sounds. Keep up the good work.

Hue - Some great fills really complimented the track well I thought. Great tone too.

Celt - Loved the vocal in the intro. An interesting take on the track. Very atmospheric. You do yourself a disservice with your own critique. I enjoyed it.

Chuckster - Hmmm. :?

Kalle - Bass really adds something to the track. Nice job. I may give this another go sometime soon and use your version as the backing if that's okay.

Dan - Love the multi layered approach. Some great playing with some cool licks and a great overall sound.

Smokingdog - The vocals were a nice touch. Great choice of instruments to compliment the backing.

TRGuitar and Thunderfingers - :shock: Wow. Awesome work. Agree with Celt the vocals could perhaps be a bit louder in the mix. Apart from that, Wow. :shock:

Vic - Nice work. You said you were out of your comfort zone with this. If that's the case you pulled it off great. Some cool licks in there and a great tone.

My favourite? Tough call but I think the honour on this occasion has to go the TRGuitar and Thunderfingers. Honourable mentions must go to Dan and Hue.

Great job everyone.

I love these. It's interesting to see different peoples interpretation of the same piece of music. I'm looking forward to doing more.

Thanks for hosting this Dan.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 19/06/2007 7:49 pm
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

I feel compelled to say one positive point and one point of critique for each part. I don't know why and I mean I didn't even take part in this, so feel to reject my claims but I hope it helps in some way.

OWA's:

Praise: I think that you had some very cool sounds in there. Pretty creative with the whammy bar(?) and just generally gave it quite an original feel. One particular bit around 1:10 was great. Learn from it and make sure you can repeat it!

Tip: I think you need to feel more confident with your playing as regards leaving gaps. The more gaps you leave the more the notes you actually play mean something. Don't feel like you have to fill 100% of a jam track.

Hue's:

Praise: I loved the different angle and felt it worked overall very well with the track. Good phrasing and some nice licks.

Tip: Not sure I can offer advice here??? It was a pretty good job and I don't know much about that style.

Celt's:

Praise: I like the attempt to build atmosphere. Certainly a plus point.

Tip: I always like pieces like that to be heavily produced and layered. I felt that the overall swathe of music effect didn't come across as well as it could have if you hand a cleaner sharper tone in there as well coming in over the top.

Kalle's:

Praise: Certainly had a Tommi Iomi kind of Ozzy Osbourne feel to it, which acredits you as a guitarist by showing you can adapt to different styles of music and pass it of in the same vein as the originals.

Tip: A tiny bit too full on with all the distortion for my liking! :D I would have preferred a nice clean, quick solo to cut in at the end just to create a peak and cut through the mix a little. Very nice flow otherwise.

Dantalb's:

Praise: I really liked the 80s take on this one. Quite a nice underlying Floydian feel to this one in particular at the beginning, which developed into a more American feel later on. Really enjoyed it!

Tip: I don't know if it was supposed to sound a bit kind of improvy but the phrasing didn't sound quite right. It didn't feel as if you absolutely meant to go into the next thing that you played. It didn't feel like you were 100% confident in what you had just played. Maybe just play it again sometime cutting out everything extraneous and then thinking: "Right. What are 5 different ways I could get from phrase A to B." Just to clean it up a bit. But don't lose the passion!

Smokindog's:

Praise: The bit around 56 secs was great.

Tip: I've come to expect good things from you, so I'll be a tad harsh to help you out beyond "Yeah. That was good." :) Balancing wise, the bass needs to come down, the lead needs to be pumped up a bit! Other than that, I think the timing was a little shifty on the bass at times. Bit rushed and what have you. Try to keep cool and just be nice and steady. Let the lead do the work. Don't try to be too strong/expressive with the bass.

Chuckster's:

Praise: Quite a cool take to the BT. Almost had a sense of free time/journeying about it. Quite psychadelic. If you took it that little bit further it would have been positively groovy, man!

Tip: I think you gave yourself the hardest task to do, because every one of those notes has to be crystal clear and last the perfect duration, etc. Therefore I think the only advice I can offer is to make sure you're in a ruthless state of mind and concentrate on every single note and put as much effort into sustaining each note and making sure it's nice and even volume-wise. You could hear that you improved in this way as the BT went on. :)

TRGuitar's:

Praise: Some nice harmonics in here! Embodies metal for me...

Tip: You appeared to have a slightly muffled sound for the lead which was quite distracting at times. :? Otherwise, my only other thought was- are you 100% sure you're fretting that main hook right? Or in tune on that string? Because somethign didn't quite settle right...

Vic's:

Praise: It had quite a nice underground feel which I don't think anyone else's had. Shows you're pretty young at heart I think. Certainly had that kind of youthful feel about it! Sounds like you were actually there with Dan playign along at the time...

Tip: As I said for someone else. Maybe have more confidence in what you're playing and really try to be disciplined with when you cut off a note and when to play and when not to play, etc.

OVERALL COMMENTS:

- Good stuff in general. No-one let the team down at all.
- Some brilliantly creative ideas on display.
- Maybe a tad carried away with the distortion (!!! :D ).
- Pleasantly surprised seeing as I'm not a big metal fan.

Sorry for the rant. But I did listen to them all and have nothing better to do than to follow it up by commenting. :)

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

Posted : 19/06/2007 10:30 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Well I'm amazed at the variety of sounds some of you guys managed to conjure up, and totally blown away by some of the lead playing!

OWA - Some nice fills, bends and vibrato. Some good hammering and tapping - but too many places where it sounded like the wrong key. There's potential though - the tapping round about 1.16 was excellent!

Hueseph - Cool tone, nice use of echo (or was it delay?) guitar's a little far back in the mix though - you have no need to be shy, you can play!!!

Celt - Not at all what I expected. Someone described this as "atmospheric" - good description. Would sit well on maybe a film soundtrack, and yeah - nicely mixed.

Chuckster - great tone, man! That the new LP? Sounds good to me! Timing's good - the "less is more" principle works here. Best part was around 2.10 ish - man, you were flying there!

Kalle - great bassline. wish I'd thought of that - I wouldn't have embarrassed myself trying to play lead! Timing's about as spot-on as it's possible to be.....nice job!

Dan T - well of course, you cheated! You knew the backing track inside out! But - I love what you did with it. Definitely gets my seal of approval, I like the way it builds from that great first bend to almost - hell, forget almost! - to shredding! Good job!

Smokindog - Bass is way too much upfront. I've tried with headphones, but still can't make out much of the vocal. But as a lead guitarist - man, you ROCK! Smokin! Excellent lead guitar - if I was half as good as that, I'd be so happy I'd never hve to practise again!

TR and Thunderfingers - One take? One bloody take? Took me two flamin' weeks to get this anywhere near....and you did it in one take? LOL! Vocals are a bit far back, but that's OK for metal - it's more the SOUND of the vocals that works. Lead guitar? Superb! Bass? Excellent! Nice work you two!

And as for me? Well - there were a few places I got a nice lick or two going, but it was far outweighed by the times i went up the scale instead of down or vice versa. In my defence, I'm not a lead player - never will be! I'm a rhythm guitarist - I know my limitations!

Fave? Couldn't choose between Smokindog and TR - honourable 3rd place to Dan. Everybody else, joint 4th!

I enjoyed this - it was a stretch for me, and I know I really screwed up in a few places. But it was a learning experience!Thanks Dan for the BT - it's a good one!

Anyone else think that if TRGuitar and Smokindog had some good songs they'd make one KICK-A$$ double-lead rock'n'roll band? Man, you guys were GOOOOOOOOD!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 20/06/2007 12:54 am
Page 1 / 3