Clear all

Final Fantasy X - To Zanarkand

9 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I was asked to do a bit of a fingerstyle lesson, so I figured I'd use this song as a demonstration for things....lesson is coming later in the day or overnight, this is just the performance....one buzz in the beginning, but I think it works out pretty well.

Recorded with a Zoom H2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozejb9UzVYM

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 24/09/2010 1:41 pm
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member

Sounded great to me :D I'm kinda wishing I used fingerpicks, but I like the feel of my fingers on the string. Have you gone through this dilemna? Your tone sounded good to me though. I don't know the song, so it might just be phrasing, but it looked like you were stressing on the end third. I might check out the song book, as long as theres something upbeat in it too.

Posted : 24/09/2010 7:20 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the feedback!

I've tried finger picks....once....never again....HATED IT!

As far as the end 3rd of the song, I don't think that the note before going into the Bm at 1:10 didn't ring out as loud to bridge it...I can hear it, but it's not as loud, but the way the sheet music is, they stop being eighth notes and are half and tied quarter notes....it's a weird timing switch, but it's the way it is.

The book doesn't have any "fast" songs in it, most of the songs are the slow melodic stuff that is so popular...there are the battle winning theme, and some other faster songs, but 99% is slower.

Posted : 25/09/2010 3:27 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

So I figured out a way to make it sound a little cleaner towards the end, and will be re-recording this, I'll update the link again when I get it done.

Posted : 27/09/2010 3:27 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

New version is up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYYsOfoFq6w

Hope you all enjoy it, I think it's MUCH MUCH better than the old ones.

Posted : 27/09/2010 3:40 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

exellent work joe - listening to that stuff is very relaxing. i was enjoying a beer to it :D

btw - what make of guitar is that - it looks identical to one of mine?

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 29/09/2010 5:15 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks alot! I love the Final Fantasy solo guitar book.

The guitar is a Cordoba C5....LOVE this guitar, best trade in I've ever done...even traded down a $550 guitar for this one LOL.

Posted : 29/09/2010 5:24 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

ah - well i have a feeling my guitar is meant to be a cheap knock off of yours - its a "Palma" (no, i never heard of them either :lol: ) - but it does look like the same guitar. (it sure doesnt sound the same in my hands though :oops: )

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 29/09/2010 5:33 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

A Palma? Yeah no idea LOL. The only thing I can find is that they are "student" classical guitars, but then again, I think mine falls into that category too :lol:

Mine is a solid Cedar top, with Mahogony back/sides/neck, and rosewood fingerboard. One of the best guitars I've ever owned!

Posted : 30/09/2010 3:18 am