How is my Shuffle?

Notifications
Clear all

How is my Shuffle?

47 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

I just started working on the blues shuffle using Little Brother's lesson. However I am using a pick and he fingerpicks. I have only been practicing this for about 20 minutes so be gentle. I tried the shuffle a few months ago but couldn't get it. I tried to get a little fancy at the end so don't laugh!

Mike's Blues Shuffle Take 1

Posted : 23/10/2005 5:43 pm
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

That's not bad Mike. The nice thing about that shuffle is once you learn it you won't forget it.
Won't matter if you finger pick or use a pick either it's the same groove either way. Keep on it man. :D

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

Posted : 23/10/2005 5:53 pm
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Hey Mike are you Jell'n with the Shuff'e'l - n? I'm Jell'n :):):)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

Posted : 23/10/2005 6:23 pm
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Shuffling is so much fun. I always enjoy doing it for a break and it also helps get the feel for some of the older rock songs.

Nice Job. Sounds good.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

Posted : 23/10/2005 6:59 pm
(@Anonymous)

Thanks everyone...it was fun to do. I wish I was good enough to figure out how to "dress ir up" a bit? Maybe a few single "fill" notes to break it up a little.

Posted : 23/10/2005 7:02 pm
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

This would be a great time to use that as a backing track and work a solo around it. All you need to know is the key, and a few scale positions and your in like Flynn!

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

Posted : 23/10/2005 10:16 pm
(@Anonymous)

art&lutherie thanks for the compliment but you give me way too much credit :oops: ! I onlu know the pentatonic at the 5th fret and have no clue as to where to start improvising. Right now I wish I have some filler notes I could add to the shuffle while I am playing...

Learning theory is on my list of things to do however I don't give it the priority it deserves

Posted : 23/10/2005 10:42 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

You could try the standard 12-bar, by using three instead of two chords. In A:

A-A-A-A
D-D-A-A
E-D-A-E

An extra note for the shuffle might be the 7b for each chord. The G, C and D note respectively. That would get you seventh chords, just a tad more interesting. For the A7 chord:
D|-2--2-4--4-5--5-4--|
A|-0--0-0--0-0--0-0--|

Posted : 23/10/2005 10:45 pm
(@Anonymous)

You could try the standard 12-bar, by using three instead of two chords. In A:

A-A-A-A
D-D-A-A
E-D-A-E

An extra note for the shuffle might be the 7b for each chord. The G, C and D note respectively. That would get you seventh chords, just a tad more interesting. For the A7 chord:
D|-2--2-4--4-5--5-4--|
A|-0--0-0--0-0--0-0--|

Thanks Arjen but I'm not using chords for the shuffle. I couldn't get them to work yet. I am using LittleBrother's lesson on the Shuffle in E. I.m only fretting one finger at a time.

thanks

Posted : 23/10/2005 11:07 pm
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Aren't you playing two strings though Mike? One fretted and one open? Like in Arjen's diagram.

If you are that's a type of chord isn't it?

Adding the extras Arjen suggests is the usual next step as far as I know. Also mixing up a few triplets with some double strums (not sure of the exact terms but a sort of dum da, dum da, dadada, dum da feel! ).

Sounds like you made a good start. :D

Posted : 23/10/2005 11:14 pm
(@Anonymous)

AHHHH...I made the mistake that frustrates me when others make it...Not reading the post thoroughly! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Thanks for pointing that out Chris

Posted : 23/10/2005 11:17 pm
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

Argh! Tried to post a tab but it got messed up.

Posted : 24/10/2005 12:44 am
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

art&lutherie thanks for the compliment but you give me way too much credit :oops: ! I onlu know the pentatonic at the 5th fret and have no clue as to where to start improvising. Right now I wish I have some filler notes I could add to the shuffle while I am playing...

Learning theory is on my list of things to do however I don't give it the priority it deserves

Your on your way if you know the Pentatonic scale. Many solos are derived from that one it will also be a good place to get your fills.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

Posted : 24/10/2005 1:08 am
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Mike,

here's something you can add on the end. It's a sort of 'turnaround" piece before you begin the sequence again.

I can't write TAB properly in a hurry, but this is all on the D string (could probably be on any though).

55, 44, 33, 2...., 0, 1, 2.... or

555, 444, 333, 2..., 0, 1, 2... (and then vibrate the 2 a bit 8)

When I first learned a shuffle - a bit like the one Arjen suggests - I practised it a lot and then recorded a simple lead over the top.

When I started I had no tune or plan in mind! And pretty must just the same penatonic that you know. I just turned on the recorder and went for it. To my amazement it wasn't too bad. The "solo" that I had no idea how to play comes out quite strongly. The drums are just a drum machine in the recorder.

The shuffle that I was so proud of learning disappeared completely in the bad mix!!! But you can still hear that turnaround in the middle and at the end.

This was my first take of my first attempt ever at improvising, so it's rough - but you could do this, and improve on it too! I kept the first take for "archival purposes"!! :D

Click for my first attempt at improvising!

Cheers, Chris

Posted : 24/10/2005 1:12 am
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

55, 44, 33, 2...., 0, 1, 2.... or

555, 444, 333, 2..., 0, 1, 2... (and then vibrate the 2 a bit 8)

To try and clarify that a bit. :?

The second version uses three quick notes in each of the first 3 beats (triplets, I think).

But the first version is somewhat similar, except the middle note is left out.
So you play one long note followed by a short one.

It sort of goes daaaa dum, daaaaa dum, daaa dum, deee, dum, dum, dee....eeee....(wobble, wobble) !! :wink:

That probably makes no sense at all..... :shock: Maybe it will be clearer on the clip...

Cheers, Chris.

Posted : 24/10/2005 1:36 am
Page 1 / 4