Clear all

i have done another solo

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@sowterg)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Comfortably Numb. It's probably not that good, but I find it hard to get it 100% correct in front of a camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iith3wXzSPA

*Edited by Elecktrablue*

Its the choices you make that diffines you as a person.

Posted : 10/07/2006 11:34 am
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

hey i dunno i just thought you sounded like you had a canadian accent, anyways same comment as before really. You should isolate the things that slow you down until they don't anymore. Like although you can pick very fast at times, your overall picking needs some work, you should try to practice your alternate picking. The better you get the more your limited by your picking hand then your fretting hand. You definetly show some proficiency. You ever write your own stuff?

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

Posted : 10/07/2006 12:55 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Some hopefully constructive criticism:

1) This solo by Gilmour is slow and melodic and is based heavily on smoothness and accuracy. Getting these exact notes isn't that important, but playing the notes you chose with determination is. Try to play more legato to smooth it out.

2) Bends. You seem to be pushing with your fingers instead of using your wrist for control. The result is less control over the final note which, in other words, means most of the bends here are out of tune.

3) Keep your fingers closer to the fretboard when you don't use them, that will also help with #1.

4) Rhythm. Play with a backing track or the original album since your rhythm here is quite off and practicing on your own without any rhythmic help won't help you develop your sense of rhythm.

Hope this has been of some help. This is quite a tough solo to properly play so cheers for trying.

Posted : 10/07/2006 3:00 pm
(@sowterg)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

thx that helped but this was newish solo i havent had much time on it to get it on tempo in my othere solo it could of been better i should have played it withm a backing track becuse i played it to a backing track before and can follow it perfectly.also can you go into more detail about bending i could use the help.

Its the choices you make that diffines you as a person.

Posted : 10/07/2006 5:23 pm
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

When your bending a note, the idea is to actually bend the note up to another note your trying to play. So you could bend it up one fret (a half step) up 2 frets (a whole step) and if your strings are light enough who knows how many steps you could get.

To practice fret a note for instance the first string fifth fret. Remember how that sounds and try to go to the 4th fret and bend UP to that same sound. If you only make it half way to the target note then youd be playing a quater step, which in western music translates into a very awful sound. (Same reason people sound bad when new at violin, they arent actually getting the notes)

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

Posted : 10/07/2006 6:12 pm
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member

That "yeah" at the end cracked me up. This should become a staple in your videos.

Posted : 12/07/2006 3:01 pm
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

One of the plusses that you are showing is you are using vibrato. That is really important for Gilmour solos, and it really helps a player's sound in general.

I'd suggest you re-record it using a backing track...Try http://www.guitarbt.com , you can get a good one for comfortably numb there.

Edit: Add a bit of reverb, and I don't know if you are, but use the neck pickup. Should sound a lot more mellow.

Also, I think that first note (14th fret on E) sounds better if you kind of rake into it, form a D chord in that posistion, instead of just hitting the one dead note before you play the 14th fret of E....I don't know, give it a shot.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 15/07/2006 10:58 pm