7 Users
0 Likes
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

here is a thing i did over a premade back track

http://vipermation.krashanimations.com/bluesy.mp3

comments appreciated

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.

Posted : 18/08/2004 12:28 am
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

c'mon no one can reply?

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.

Posted : 18/08/2004 2:03 pm
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Pretty nice. I was also watching the video you made and imagining you playing this one. If you're open to suggestions, I have a couple that may help a bit.

First of all, you have great left hand shape and position. I notice the knuckles are nice and even, even when you do a slide upward everything remains stable. That's really good hand positioning.

You also keep your thumb behind the neck and your fingers nice and curved so that the tips of the fingers are straight down on the strings. This also is a good thing; prevents accidentally touching other strings, etc. You can actually see between your palm and the back of the neck.

When you do the little runs and pentatonic things using the middle two strings -- you know, the little bits that are like hammer-ons from say, the fifth fret to the seventh -- they're pretty clean; almost too clean. One thing that some guys do when playing those little parts of the scale is to actually not use just the tip of the finger (in this case your ring finger) to hold down the notes on those two strings. They actually lay the pad of the last section of the finger across the two strings at the same time -- sorta like a mini-mini bar -- while they're playing two notes that are close together. Then they lift off again when they go to another string. So instead of having to make their thrd finger hop over from the 3rd string to the 4th string, you just momentarily lay the pad of the ring finger flat on both strings. It lets the notes sorta blend together for that moment and makes the scale smooth out at that point.

It's rather like how some guys will do the barre "A shape" chords by barring with their index and then just laying the flat of their 3rd finger over the 2nd, 3rd and 4th strings (2 frets up)

This little technique can be applied also to when you're playing the 1st and 2nd strings in that 4-fret spread. You just lay your pinky tip flat across both strings -- say you're in A -- at the 8th fret. You can do pull offs (because you have your index covering those two strings at the 5th fret) and then lay the pinky (or third finger as some people might do) on the 8th fret and so on. It lends a certain fluidity to scales.

The other thing is your bending of strings. I notice when you bend you sorta single out whatever finger you're going to use and quickly push it up ot bend the string, while the other fingers and the rest of your hand remain stable. Again nothing wrong with this per se, but most folk will use more of the entire hand in that bending motion, letting the thumb move a little up toward the edge of the back of the neck and use that for a pivot. To check out the motion, just hook your thumb on the topside of the neck -- with your hand behind the neck of course -- and then just relax your hand and let it sorta 'hang' just by your thumb.

Then sorta swivel your hand -- as if you were trying to turn your palm toward your face -- and then back the other way so you can see the back of your hand. A sort of wagging motion, but having not only your wrist in on the twisting motion, but your forearm too. It's a loose motion, like you were shaking out your hand; everything turning from the elbow up.

THAT is the motion both for bending strings and for vibrato. You obviously don't leave your thumb hooked over there -- though lots of people do when bending -- but it's that same sort of thumb-as-center-of-rotation concept. Place your thumb maybe a little up from center at the back of the neck, put your 3rd finger on a string and then do that wagging motion while holding the note down and picking it. Then use that same wrist motion and try doing a bend. You'll see and feel how the thumb becomes a fulcrum point for the bend and the bending finger is no longer just on its own, pushing up against the string. It becomes the lever and the string is the thing it's pushing up.

These are just a couple of little things that may open up a lot of other things for you. Sometimes it's just small things that can help.

Take care and keep going like you are. You're obviously serious about this so I thought I'd pass along something you might be seriously able to use.

Posted : 18/08/2004 4:21 pm
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

hmm i don't quite understand what you were saying in the whole bending motion lol

my teacher says i should stop using my fingers to bend the string and use my entire hand. However, i find the way im doing it to be comfortable for me, if i know i need to do a specific thing after the bend i may adjust how i do it. for example in the begening of the neck, if i do a bend there, that is where i hand the thumb over the neck for a little support.

Posted : 18/08/2004 4:29 pm
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Right, sometimes you have to change things a little depending on what's coming next. But to make the hand motion simpler to try, if you're at a desk right now, just lay your thumb on the edge and let the rest of your hand dangle off the side. Then wave your hand. You know, like the way people do on parade floats -- they wave by holding their hand straight and rotating their whole arm/wrist/hand from the elbow on up. Do that with just your thumb holding onto the desk -- or the edge of the neck -- and you've got the motion.

Posted : 18/08/2004 4:40 pm
(@audioslaveaddict)
Estimable Member

hmm i don't quite understand what you were saying in the whole bending motion lol

my teacher says i should stop using my fingers to bend the string and use my entire hand. However, i find the way im doing it to be comfortable for me, if i know i need to do a specific thing after the bend i may adjust how i do it. for example in the begening of the neck, if i do a bend there, that is where i hand the thumb over the neck for a little support.

What happens (just from talking to players older than I) is that , if you do all your bending with you fingers and not your whole hand...that can lead to some health problems later on down the road.

Gun control is using both hands!!!

Posted : 18/08/2004 9:47 pm
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

:shock: really? damn i have to figure out how to bend with my whole hand

but back to the feedback guys

anyone....bueller....bueller

Posted : 18/08/2004 11:01 pm
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

:(

Posted : 19/08/2004 9:11 pm
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

It was OK the same tune all the way through nothing like your other tune which was really good.

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

Posted : 20/08/2004 5:51 am
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

Pretty nice soloing. Very melodic, kept simple, which is a sign of true skill. What I think you should do is get intro recording your own stuff. betamonkeymusic has a good selection of drum loops. Everything else you can do yourself. It's really fun to do.

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

Posted : 21/08/2004 12:41 am
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Okay, just now listening to it thru the second time. It is definitely good to keep things simple when playing the blues. If this "song" had vocals it would seem less repititive. You do throw some good licks in there.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

Posted : 21/08/2004 5:58 pm
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Just listened to your "instrumental" and "Little Wing". Those are both good. It is pretty ballsy for a relatively young player to try Little Wing. I feel over all the advice you have recieved from people here at GN is on the money. Don't take anything as negativity at this point. Take all criticism as constructive. Take it and run. Like it has been said, you Will be really good. Find a band for somebody to put some vocals to your playing and it will be really nice.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

Posted : 21/08/2004 6:23 pm
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Sounds good.
You might want to watch your levels, sounds like your getting some digital clipping that's making the lead guitar a little harsh on the high end.
This is personal taste, but I would EQ the lead guitar with more midrange for the blues. The scooped mids thing can work for rhythm, but a blues lead is like a voice, and voice is all about midrange. Others may well disagree.

Posted : 21/08/2004 9:45 pm