Clear all

Jam track CD

29 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@nroberts)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I don't know about you guys, but I love jam tracks. I also find them very difficult to find. At the music store near me they have one single CD that comes with a blues jam book and it costs $25 as I recall. This seems unreasonable to me.

I propose to create a collection of jam tracks that can be burned onto disk, along with information that can be viewed in the computer (data/audio disk) that gives some information about each song. I could create such a thing myself, but it might get rather redundant.

I am wondering if anyone is interested in collaborating on such a project. We could start by sharing tracks and seeing which ones turn out to be fun. Then anyone that wants to can take the result and burn it onto disks to share with friends or maybe even get a few bucks out of at the local music store...

We can do a variety of styles or stick to one or a few...it should be fairly wide open as far as possibilities I think.

Watcha think? I'm gonna do it...if anyone is interested in joining this project...an 'open source jam cd' please feel pre-invited.

Posted : 27/01/2005 8:23 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Noah,

I'd like to try something if you wouldn't mind sharing a jam track. Not sure how I would get the file into Audacity which is the only recording program I have.

Plus I'm not sure I could play to your standards. I still can't believe you've only played for 6 months you sound really good.

Anyway if you can give me some instructions I'll try something.

Chris

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 27/01/2005 1:49 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Hey cnev, If you go to http://www.audacity.com they have lessons on this kind of thing to get you started, if i can do this any one can :lol: :lol:
so just download a jam track (nroberts makes them for this purpose) and play around with it, you can undo most any mistake on audacity.
Don't worry about how good you play, most of these folks posting tunes here can play far better than i can, and FYI I have been playing since Nixon was living in the white house :lol: NO ONE is going to put you down if you don't play as well as they do :!: Thats the cool thing about GN, this is one of the few forums of any size on the net that i have found that the ego mongers have not taken over. All anyone here wants to do is help out and have some fun learning :D :D --the dog

PS: I found that the edit functions help alot, i put down 2 guitar tracks and just edited the bad parts out till i had something that did not sound too bad to my ears :lol: :lol: the barking was something i downloaded off a sound fx site on the web.

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 27/01/2005 3:40 pm
(@nroberts)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Noah,

I'd like to try something if you wouldn't mind sharing a jam track. Not sure how I would get the file into Audacity which is the only recording program I have.

Plus I'm not sure I could play to your standards. I still can't believe you've only played for 6 months you sound really good.

Anyway if you can give me some instructions I'll try something.

Chris

I've been playing a lot longer than 6 months, try 15 years. I just got serious again about 1 year ago and maybe my internet pressense in this subject is only 6 months?

Anyway, not much in the way of standards. You can make it as simple as you want. The only standard that is going to be needed is that it is a good take. You can't really jam to something that is really sloppy in other words. I think anyone, no matter how advanced or not, can come up with a jam track with a good take...it just might take some of us longer than others.

Posted : 27/01/2005 3:58 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I know how to record in Audacity when I'm recording straight into the computer. I just don't now how I'm going to get your file to be opened up by the program. Is the file the Audacity type aup?

If so then I think I can handle just adding a track.

Chris

Posted : 27/01/2005 6:01 pm
(@nroberts)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I know how to record in Audacity when I'm recording straight into the computer. I just don't now how I'm going to get your file to be opened up by the program. Is the file the Audacity type aup?

If so then I think I can handle just adding a track.

Chris

Oh, I see what you are talking about. I missunderstood. The Jam track CD would be full of things like my "Make a go" which leaves the lead part undone.

If you want the make a go wav file, and you can come up with a way for me to get a file 25M in size to you, I will do it...I got bandwidth to waste, I just don't have access to any service that would allow that kind of storage afaik.

Otherwise you should be able to convert the mp3 to wav with whatever player you use; MS Media Player? I know XP just about does it out of the box. If you are linux xmms will write to file as well as mpg123. I don't know for mac.

Audacity can import wavs at least. Maybe I can create a zipped up aup....I'll look into it tonight.

It is definately better to have the wav. And an "OS" CD might necessitate we find a way to share them...they are just so damn huge...

Posted : 27/01/2005 6:30 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I have just the standard Windows media player. doesn't that convert to a wma file type. There's probably a website somewhere that I can convert the mp3 to wav.

Is the mp3 file posted somewhere. I can just download and give it a try.

Also if I can and since my ear stinks what key was it done in?

Thanks,

Chris

Posted : 27/01/2005 6:35 pm
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Audacity will import the MP3 file for you.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

Posted : 27/01/2005 6:41 pm
(@nroberts)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Is the mp3 file posted somewhere. I can just download and give it a try.

http://www.soundclick.com/noahroberts/

There are two (or three depending on how you look at it) jam tracks in my music:

• Make a Go (w/ guitar)
    Make a Go (Bass)
    Jan 17 (Rythm)
  •  
    Posted : 27/01/2005 7:28 pm
     cnev
    (@cnev)
    Famed Member

What's the progression in the rhythm track.

Posted : 27/01/2005 8:01 pm
    (@nroberts)
    Reputable Member
    Topic starter

What's the progression in the rhythm track.

Make a go is 12 bar blues in A.

Jan 17 is more complex. You can call it E Phrygian. I believe you can also get away with E blues. Or you can do multi mode:

Main section is E Phrygian...
    Start of 'bridge' can be E Phrygian or E Aeolean.
    Second part of bridge can be E Phrygian or E Locrean.

I had not analyzed it this much when I did my recordings, which is why I struggled I think.

E5 ..... , D5 E5 F5 G5 E5 f5 e5 d5 (main section)
    A5/Major, G5, E5
    D5, FM, CM, A5
    A5, G5 E5
    FM -> GM

Posted : 27/01/2005 9:45 pm
    (@nroberts)
    Reputable Member
    Topic starter

E5 ..... , D5 E5 F5 G5 E5 f5 e5 d5 (main section)

Oops...Last bit is E5 F5 *D5 E5* (the last E5 actually being E5 in the beginning of next loop.)

Posted : 27/01/2005 9:46 pm
     Kyle
    (@kyle)
    Reputable Member

I have metal jam track for the CD if you would like it. ITs in audacity format for editiing/mixing/whatever else you wanna do with it. Do I have your permission to send it to ur email nroberts?

The meaning of life? I've never heard a simpler question! Music.

Posted : 28/01/2005 12:13 am
     Mike
    (@mike)
    Famed Member

Are these sites along the lines of what you were looking for? Free Jam Tracks

Posted : 28/01/2005 3:11 am
    (@nroberts)
    Reputable Member
    Topic starter

I have metal jam track for the CD if you would like it. ITs in audacity format for editiing/mixing/whatever else you wanna do with it. Do I have your permission to send it to ur email nroberts?

Yeah, use http://yousendit.com or my email server will probably throw it away.

Posted : 28/01/2005 6:08 am
    Page 1 / 2