Clear all

Learning to Gig/sing

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@hoop71)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Here are a few songs... old now... ive improved greatly since these were recorded but im still afraid i make the same mistakes... i have a very deep voice and find it hard to sing right on with most songs other than country. These are a few tracks from a coffee house at our college.. we were slightly intoxicated but none the less. any feed back / suggestions / constructive critisism would be appriciated. (playing with a buddy as well)

Matt

http://www.purevolume.com/matthooperga/music

"my choice is what i choose to do
and if i'm causing no harm
it shouldn't bother you
your choice is who you choose to be
and if your causin' no harm
then you're alright with me"
~Ben Harper

Posted : 11/05/2005 5:31 pm
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Don't worry about your voice, as long as you're in key it doesn't matter, in most cases, it might be cooler. 8) I liked the Drive cover, you had some some trouble getting to the mic, and when you did, you made it distorted, but this is most common and common name have this problem too. Plus, I think it might have to do with the alcohol. :wink: When your actually recording in a studio or whatever, this could cause a problem, but I doubt it. The other was good too, the echo vocal was a tid bit off some times, but nothing really noticeable. I'm just trying to find something to complain about I guess. :-p Didnt find any problems with the guitars exept the solo's needed a kind of boost, but nothin really you can fix since its acoustic.
This stuff is excellent , keep it comin'! Overall, two thumbs up.

:)

Stairway to Freebird!

Posted : 12/05/2005 2:55 am
(@hoop71)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

sounds good man thanks... yea as far as boosting the lead... should i invest in some sort of pedal... i also have a volume control on my acoustic.. but seems sometimes when i turn it up the feedback rages.. any idea? thanks for the kind words... and yes too much tequilla and too much smoke:)

it shouldn't bother you
~Ben Harper

Posted : 12/05/2005 2:58 pm
(@hoop71)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Anyone else have a reply?

it shouldn't bother you
~Ben Harper

Posted : 09/08/2005 3:38 pm
(@whitneyzeldow)
Estimable Member

I'm not a genius when it comes to vocals, but I have had a little bit of choir experience. Your potential is evident, but as far as those two recordings go, you weren't even close to your potential. I'm not trying to lighten the fall with the "potential" talk because your tone really is nice and almost every guy I know is worse off than you in that category. I'm not exactly sure, but I think I have a couple tips that may help:

1. Open your mouth and feel your throat open--the more air that gets out on those high notes, the better

2. Lengthen the vowels. Sometimes you sound like you are doing little more than talking in a specific tone--you might want to sound more like you're singing, unless it's a style thing

3. Attack the high notes. You've got to practice before this brings good results. The trick is to not be afraid of the high notes, because that brings tension, creating a bad sound. Be confident and attack the notes.

I don't know if that helps. Sorry, but I just have one more thing to point out. You lower your pitch when going into the chorus of "Drive." That's a big no no. You can start the song out in a lower pitch if you want. Anyway, I really am impressed with your guitar skills and see great potential in your singing voice. Singing can be harder than guitar, and that's saying a lot since I'm a crappy newbie (a month in and my progress is still slow).

Good luck.

Posted : 26/08/2005 10:13 pm
(@hoop71)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the input i really like hearing constructive critisism. that recording is now almost a year old and i think i have improved greatly... hopefully i will get up a new recording here in the next week or so.. thanks again

it shouldn't bother you
~Ben Harper

Posted : 21/09/2005 6:12 pm
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

First rule: Alcohol does not help you to sing or play guitar. Stay away from drink when you record.
Second rule: stick to what you're good at. I'm not saying your voice is bad just that you're trying to sing out of your register.

I love that song Drive and if I were to be totally honest and heartless I would say you hacked it but to be fair, the playing was good and the vocals were almost there. The poker song was cool but again the vocals need to be handled with a bit more care.

Things to consider when you record vox:
-When you sing louder, move away from the mic.
-use a pop screen whenever possible. This not only prevents pops but also keeps you at an optimal distance(between 6-12").
-Listen to your recordings with a critical ear. That will help you where you need to improve.

Finally: take my criticizm with salt. It's only my opinion.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

Posted : 22/09/2005 1:27 am