Clear all

My First Song (almost) - "Take It From Me" - FIXED

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Fixed in more ways than one! I figured out what I did wrong (I hit the update song button when I really wanted to update the picture). Anyway, after correctly loading the song, I reallized that the vocals where not just bad, they were absolutely awful. I'm really just not a singer. Anyway, I posted the lyrics in case you want to sing along. If I can get someone to record a vocal track for me, I'll mix it in.

Here goes,

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=638569&songID=4792400

It's a work in progress. I almost posted it without the vocals since I am extremely aware of the fact that I can't sing. So, please pretend that it's BB or Buddy or someone else instead of me singing. I also have to get more comfortable when the record button is hit. I must have been pretty angry with my guitar, because I was seriously choking it during the rhythm part. I was going to record another take (and still will) but my hand was seriously cramping so I decided to give it a break. I also realize that the lead was off a bit here and there, but this long, like me, is truly a work in progress.

I will likely take this down shortly, but was hoping for some feedback. I wrote the song yesterday, not great I know, but it was my first shot at writing.

Anyway, any feedback and recommendations are extremely welcome.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=638569&songID=4792400

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

Posted : 19/12/2006 5:11 am
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Uh oh.

I get "error loading song file". Maybe it's just too soon after you posted it. Sometimes there is a waiting period after uploading before it is available.

I'll try again tomorrow.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 19/12/2006 5:23 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Um, I don't hear any vocals?

Not bad lead playing. The rhythm guitar & drums are off. Like you said, work in progress. Sounds like you're heading in the right direction. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 22/12/2006 12:06 pm
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Yeah, I killed the vocals. I should actually just dump it and start over. The lead was recored over the vocals (they kind of went together). My hand was cramping. It literally took me two minutes to get the pain to stop after I finished that take. I still haven't been able to make it through the whole thing pain free. I will re-recored it as soon as I physically can.

I might try the vocals thing again, I'm just not sure the world is ready for that! It might stir up some of the snow on the roofs in Denver.

I guess I only left it up so I can mark my progress going forward. I know it's really bad, so next time I'll wait until I have something worthy of sharing before I post for comments.

Thanks! :D

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

Posted : 22/12/2006 1:15 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Tiny historical story: once one of the worlds finest pianist, Josef Hofmann, was faced with a problem during his practicing: he simply could not see how he could play what the piece demanded of him. Surely he couldn't just play it as best as he could without disgracing the composition and making a fool of himself? He turned to his teacher, the even more renowned Anton Rubinstein, and asked him for advice on how to play. Rubinstein looked at the piece, looked at his student and said:"Play it with your nose for all I care, just play it!"

This track needs vocals. You wrote the song, you wrote the lyrics so you should be the one to do them, and I personally don't care whatsoever about your vocal skills. If you can whip some vocals together I'll be more then happy to give as much feedback as you want but I can't comment on a song missing one of the core tracks.

Posted : 22/12/2006 2:45 pm
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Thanks Arjen. Nice story (I'll likely use it myself at some point).

That's my challenge. I will fix and improve the music and somehow gut out a vocal track of some sort. It won't happen tonight, but it shall be done.

Posted : 22/12/2006 3:35 pm
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I think you've got a great start! I too would love to hear it with some vocals. You've got the blues lead stuff down pretty good too! I enjoyed it.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

Posted : 22/12/2006 4:42 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Don't sell yourself short--I like what you've got here.

I'd like to hear the lead brought forward and the rhythm guitar backed off underneath some. With the lead guitar in more of a featured position, I think it sounds great even without vocals.

Also, like Dan said the drums and rhythm guitar aren't quite synchronized, but you can fix that.

Good work!

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 29/12/2006 5:07 am
(@smokehouse)
Honorable Member

sure is the blues and thats a great start..........smoke

:WHO INVENTED WORK SHOULD COME BACK AND FINISH THE JOB OFF: http://www.soundclick.com/bartin

Posted : 29/12/2006 6:12 am