Clear all

Needle And The Damage Done

21 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

This is something I just felt like doing. Ive never really sung before. This is my first attempt to put it on a recording. I'd just like your opinion ya'll. Thanks.

http://izabella.dmusic.com/

Needle And The Damage Done

aka Izabella

Posted : 29/11/2004 5:38 am
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Well the guitar is all there. But the vocals need a bit of help. Just some practice maybe singing with the cd or somethin. Keep it up.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

Posted : 29/11/2004 8:17 am
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

What do you think I can do to improve my singing? I have no idea where to start. I want to get singing lessons (because I enjoy singing but I dont enjoy the reactions I get from some people...) but until then what can I do to get myself going in the right direction? I dont wanna sit there going through scales or anything, I wanna sing songs you know? Its like how I am with guitar playing, I know few scales but I know how to play songs and stuff (though it is not evident from my recordings :oops:).

Thanks for your help. :wink:

aka Izabella

Posted : 29/11/2004 8:24 am
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

I think the best thing to do is keep doing what you're doing. Record yourself and listen to it. Then compare to a cd. You find out what you don't like and improve on it. That way you will know when you are doing it right. also a simple excercise is to sing while you practice you'r scales. Sing each note. If you want you could even sing the name of the note as you play it. Double the excercise for the effort. I could probably benefit from this . :oops:

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

Posted : 29/11/2004 8:34 am
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Izabella

This is the hardest thing to post to in my opinion, number one, the poster doesn't want to cause offence, number 2 the repipient doesn't want their hard work to get shredded. So please take this post in the spirit in which it was intended ok?

First off, a few questions.
1. Did you record the guitar work, and the vocals seperately?
2. Did you record the vocals a number of times, or just go for it once?
3. Are there other songs that people say you sing well?

Would be interested to hear an answer to those points.

I would say first of all, from bitter personal experience, that this is a great song to play, but a b*tch to sing!!! Even Neil Young doesn't try and play the technical bits and sing it at the same time - he often resorts to straight strumming in the chorus to make things easier for himself. And old Neil has a strange "love it or hate it" voice also.

I am in a similar situation to yourself. Sometimes i think i sing a song well, but the audience looks blank...other times I just kinda get through a song, and someone will say "that was good". I think the vast majority of posts on here regarding singing say the same thing, the voice is another instrument, you have to train it. To me, you aren;'t a "natural" singer, you need to get it trained, I can hear that you really want to do this - but then we all wanted to play guitar, but needed help to get there...

I admire anyone who tries this stuff and posts it for public consumption, its brave, so well done.

The other thing (and this is very true and why a lot of artists wear ear pieces etc) try singing it with your fingers in your ears - you will be able to hear yourself better.

Good luck, always enjoy your posts so hope you get it sorted!

Matt

Posted : 29/11/2004 11:17 am
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

I did the playing and singing seperately because I dont have a good microphone that will pick them both up well enough at the correct volumes and I wanted the versatility of being to mix them seperately, but when I play this song regularly (well Ive done it like twice) I play and sing.

I did this song once through with the singing and twice with the guitar because I made a really bad mistake the first time with the guitar.

I dont sing any other songs really because I havent really tried.

aka Izabella

Posted : 30/11/2004 2:09 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I tell you what the only problem is, the song is way out of your range. You don't actually get up to the starting pitch until you go falsetto. But hey this song is out of most peoples ranges.

If you don't hit the starting pitch, you will have a bear of a time trying to make the notes fit.

So don't worry about it, maybe capo the thing up to the 6th fret and sing it an octave down.

Posted : 30/11/2004 2:17 am
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Were you using a “Dynamic” mic for both recordings?

Were you sitting down while you were recording the vocals?

Other than that, sing like you play.....with feeling!!! You will find that with time and practice (just like guitar) you will learn how to let your true vocals shine though. Your voice needs to hit every note, just like every note on the guitar needs to be played with feeling and passion!!!

Posted : 30/11/2004 2:37 am
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Anyone have any ideas on who is a real nice low singer (because I have a fairly low voice)? I dont really know about this stuff, I never took notes on who was what. I'm new to this whole singing world.

Yes I was using a dynamic and was sitting for both.

aka Izabella

Posted : 30/11/2004 5:56 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Hey, i'm 47 and just started singing this year. I don't have a very good voice but try to pick out and write songs i can sing with my limited vocal range. :oops: Nicks advice sounds good. I thought you did good on that song, Its very hard to sing, so I,m sure there are a lot of songs you would do well on. :D :D BTW I found a artical nick did that was very good, I think it was called singing 101, a lot of good advice here. --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 30/11/2004 6:12 am
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Izabella

Good advice as usual from Nick.

As far as singers with deep voices, try some Johnny Cash, I reckon it would suit your voice well.

Good luck!

Matt

Posted : 30/11/2004 8:01 am
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Yes I was using a dynamic and was sitting for both.

Dynamic mic's are meant for instruments, not vocals. You should sound alittle better and not as flat with a different mic (condenser mic, I think).

When you sit and sing, you aren't using your stomach to it's full potential. Try standing next time.

Posted : 30/11/2004 1:46 pm
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

I dont have the money for a new mic right now.

aka Izabella

Posted : 01/12/2004 1:26 am
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

I always thought you were a girl...

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

Posted : 01/12/2004 1:43 am
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I always thought you were a girl...

So did all of us untill we found out.................he was both!!! :shock: :twisted: :shock:

"Isabella" is a song from Hendrix.

Posted : 01/12/2004 1:52 am
Page 1 / 2