Clear all

Oh well, I wrote another song

12 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Its called 'can't love nobody' wasn't sure what genre it belonged in so its in acoustic general its just strumming and singing....lyrics below
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=510935

CHORUS
Well ya can't love no one if no one loves you

No ya can't love nobody when no one loves you

I don't hold no grudges but i'm gonna say the truth

you can't love no one when no ones lovin you

VERSE
Well i'll tell ya its a problem

Its a catch 22, its a universal law

i think you know it too

so if your lookin for some lovin

i'll tell what to do

start lovin me and i'll start lovin you

chorus
VERSE
Well i'm a selfish bastard, i don't give till i get

To say your like me that would be safe bet

well i'm not tryin to con ya, but I will state a fact

give me some lovin and you'll get some lovin back
CHORUS
VERSE
Well ya don't like what i'm saying

then ya better join a cult

or ya better get some money

That'll get ya lovin too

its a rotten world we live in

so here's a little clue

start lovin me and i'll start lovin youuuuuuuu
CHORUS

Posted : 12/06/2006 2:54 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I love it!! Sounds very Beatle(ish) to me.

I had a little problem with this line.
or ya better get some money

That'll get ya lovin too

Everything else flowed so smooth. Also, I dont know but I think it would be better, since you are starting with the chorus, if it ended with your verse. Just my opinion.

Good job
Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 12/06/2006 3:03 am
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Thanks geoo, I wondered about that verse, chorus thing, so as a rule you start or finish with a chorus but not start and finish. I guess I wanted to stretch the song out more without thinking up another verse :wink: could be a little beatles on the lennon side

Posted : 12/06/2006 3:47 am
(@smokehouse)
Honorable Member

you done it again you have a really great voice, if you know someone with an electric violin this would add the cream....i can play a harp---still love lonesome blues..............keep em coming 8)

:WHO INVENTED WORK SHOULD COME BACK AND FINISH THE JOB OFF: http://www.soundclick.com/bartin

Posted : 12/06/2006 7:59 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Thanks geoo, I wondered about that verse, chorus thing, so as a rule you start or finish with a chorus but not start and finish. I guess I wanted to stretch the song out more without thinking up another verse :wink: could be a little beatles on the lennon side

Dont know if there is a rule. Its just the way I hear it in my feeble brain. LOL Most important just to do it the way you think is best.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 12/06/2006 9:14 am
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

you done it again you have a really great voice, if you know someone with an electric violin this would add the cream....i can play a harp---still love lonesome blues..............keep em coming

I should buy a harmonica at least :)
Dont know if there is a rule. Its just the way I hear it in my feeble brain. LOL Most important just to do it the way you think is best.

Geoo

Feed back from others like you is important to me. There's tons more I need to know then piecing chords and words together. BTW that one line about money doesn't really fit to well in the flow. It was a hold over from a whole different type song where it would of fit. The song was meant to be much more cynical then it turned out, but I chickened out :wink:

Posted : 12/06/2006 5:07 pm
(@surly)
Trusted Member

i like it,
its a kind of non-imposing song that meanders along but i like it.

i think it would sound good with a bit more of a jangly twang in the higher strings. The guitar almost sounds too rounded. I dont suppose you have an old banjo lying around? anyway, thats up to you, still it sounds good.

Posted : 16/06/2006 11:39 pm
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Thanks surly, it could use something else. I didn't think I would be writing stuff till after I mastered the guitar better. I can strum, finger pick a little, and do some runs I just can't seem to blend them all at once to make the song sound full unless I do separate tracks. Some one like james taylor is a master at that.....anyway gonna try another one soon

Posted : 17/06/2006 4:52 am
(@surly)
Trusted Member

no worries,
dont worry im the same, a strummer through and through. Im really trying to work on my fingerpicking and eventually be able to combine the two.

I kinda had the same idea that i shouldnt write my own stuff until i was a 'good' guitarist. But as i said in the beginners forum, i havent met a single guitarist who thinks they are 'good', no matter how experienced they are. So if you have that attitude you'll never start!

Posted : 17/06/2006 10:17 pm
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Heard that! anyway writing a song is fun even if ya can't perform it the way you would like. I was at a friends house and he tried to show me how to make a chord sound more interesting, but he was moving a bit fast. I hoped he would add what he knew to my songs but he said I had to learn it myself. Anyway he did show me a trick i been using

Posted : 18/06/2006 4:56 am
(@surly)
Trusted Member

oh yeah, and what trick was that?
or are you just going to leave it at that?

I find a faily easy way to spice up a basic chord is to only hit the root note on the first downstroke for each chord change. Easy for chords where the root note is on the top string like F and G but not as simple for Am, C D (easy with your thumb, difficult to hit the right string with a pick i find). Gives you a nice bass line driving the song forward.

Anyway, everyone probably already knew that but its new to me so nuts to you all! :o

Posted : 19/06/2006 6:00 am
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Yes I did know about the base note thing :wink: ....trouble with that is it interferes with my strum patterns. What i tend to do instead is kinda chop at the base strings instead of a full strum and that gives it a base note sound, thats probably cheating though, all in time i guess

The trick I mentioned is pluck the G string then hammer on it first fret, then pluck the high e and b and g again.....move index down to the B string play it and hammer the same string 2nd fret then pluck high e and b and thumb the A string you can vary the pattern a bit

if you check the last song on my soundclick 'evening melody' its kinda an expanded version of that but that little piece i rushed and doesn't sound so good....anyway it fits in with some bluesy chords

Posted : 19/06/2006 7:42 am