Clear all

Please

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Heh, I'm making up for lost time. :P Comments very much appreciated, as usual!
Please

I can't believe I'm on my own again
But I'm crawling back to where I came from
I never thought I'd end up on my knees again
begging please

I can't believe you celebrate I'm gone
I can't believe what you've become
How could you turn your back on me
I'm begging tell me please

http://www.last.fm/music/Sleutelbos/_/Please?autostart

Posted : 24/01/2009 10:58 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Interesting. That kind of mixture of classical piano and those (I dunno what style you'd call them?) drumbeats shouldn't work, but it does. I suppose I'm just used to expecting the unexpected from you!

Pretty impressive falsetto, too. I'd have at least a double hernia if I tried singing that high!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 24/01/2009 2:11 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

heh, the more I read about it the more I believe I finally found a label for myself: postmodern music. :D

-is not simply a repudiation of modernism or its continuation, but has aspects of both a break and an extension
-is, on some level and in some way, ironic
-does not respect boundaries between sonorities and procedures of the past and of the present
-challenges barriers between 'high' and 'low' styles
-shows disdain for the often unquestioned value of structural unity
-questions the mutual exclusivity of elitist and populist values
-avoids totalizing forms (e.g., does not want entire pieces to be tonal or serial or cast in a prescribed formal mold)
-considers music not as autonomous but as relevant to cultural, social, and political contexts
-includes quotations of or references to music of many traditions and cultures
-considers technology not only as a way to preserve and transmit music but also as deeply implicated in the production and essence of music
-embraces contradictions
-includes fragmentations and discontinuities
-encompasses pluralism and eclecticism
-presents multiple meanings and multiple temporalities
-locates meaning and even structure in listeners, more than in scores, performances, or composers

Seems to sum it up pretty well, don't it? The second drumbeat is, if I had to name it, an extended/enhanced version of a hiphop groove. Thanks for listening!

Posted : 24/01/2009 2:38 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I would say you are a post modernist by that definition.

with Please it seems you are channeling RadioHead.
although the piece sounds good I can't get past the connection.
it's a negative for me.
your falsetto is really strong. wow.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 24/01/2009 2:54 pm
(@alangreen)

Thumbs up from me, and I couldn't do the falsetto either

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 24/01/2009 4:28 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Thumbs up from me, and I couldn't do the falsetto either
And I wouldn't even attempt it. :mrgreen:

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 24/01/2009 5:28 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Very interesting song. The tension between the drums & the piano works well. Love the falsetto! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 24/01/2009 8:15 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

heh, the more I read about it the more I believe I finally found a label for myself: postmodern music.

I'd just call it music. Who needs labels? All you've done is taken some essence of music you've been exposed to, and added your unique slant on it. It's....you. Doesn't matter what else has been distilled down to produce the end result, you've got pure Ignar...or Arjen...whatever.

Just keep making the music you enjoy making...be true to your own musical soul. You've not gone wrong so far....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 24/01/2009 10:22 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks people!

Dogbite: heh, experimental/alternative music in minor with falsetto voices is hard to make without being compared with Radiohead. ;) Radiohead, or maybe Thom Yorke to be specific, is probably my biggest influece. Can't deny it!

Vic: I agree but it don't seem to be that easy. With my album being done real soon I have to start putting my stuff together for press-releases for newspapers/mags etc. And from talking to people who've got their music reviewed and people who review music I've been told by everyone that it is important to 'sell' your music. Saying that I'm unique and sound like nobody else will just piss people off because it's what everybody and their dog says, saying you 'can't be pigeonholed' is the easiest way to get hammered it seems other then saying Radiohead is your biggest influence. :lol:

It's really frustrating, if it were up to me I'd just give people the album and let them come up with words for it, that;s what they're payed for after all. But I guess it just dont work that way. :(

Posted : 24/01/2009 11:26 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Saying that I'm unique and sound like nobody else will just piss people off because it's what everybody and their dog says

So true, unfortunately.....

I can listen to any song of mine and tell you what I was listening to at the time. With you, it's different - you might have been listen to the Beatles with one ear and Eminem with the other - you don't seem to be tied down by one particular genre or style at all.

But, and fortunately for YOUR music, you seem to have the knack of finding the best bits of a few different genres and marrying them together....you've taken all those influences and come up with a sound all your own.

Well - all I can do is wish you well. Hope the album gets finished soon, and hope it sells. You've worked hard on your music, and I'll be rooting from the sidelines for you. Hell, I'll even buy a copy - as long as I can get an autographed one!

All the best, mijn vriend.......

Vic

Posted : 24/01/2009 11:59 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

arjen. didn't mean to slam with the Radiohead mention. it's just that I when I listen to music I hear influences.
doesn't matter who. big stars and up and coming stars. everybody has an influence. its a good thing.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 25/01/2009 1:10 pm