Clear all

Putting Out Fire (With Gasoline) - Bowie cover WIP

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I thought I'd share a work-in-progress that I've put some time into. The strumming and singing, two-take songs seem so long ago. :cry:

Inspired by the version of David Bowie's Putting Out Fire (With Gasoline) that appears in the movie Inglorious Basterds and further back in the 80's a movie called Cat People. The song is also on his Let's Dance album. While good, the version used in the movies has so much more energy. A really good tune. Probably too obscure, but what the heck. :D

This is my rendition. No percussion yet. There are a few different guitar tracks as this song takes on different tempos and energy throughout. I'll save you the hassle of having to listen to it all.

:06 - Song Starts Slow vocals. Very Slow rake on the strums
1:14 - Enter Distortion or Overdrive
1:28 - Enter Vocals again
2:49 - Instrumental with solo (the chords go back to clean tone, but tempo remains upbeat)
3:31 - Vocals on top of the new clean tempo
5:05 - Mercifully ends

And the song. http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8277612

As you can hear, there are some challenging pieces and not just with the vocals. I did try to capture and mimic Bowie's flare, but came up short. The soloing is getting a bit better with this one and one I did for another song recently. The solo here was just my second take, which beats the heck out of how many takes I did with all the other pieces. :oops:

The MP3 creation also distorted things a touch, expecially with my vocals. Oddly enough, I was not near the top or bottom edges where it would normally clip. A little frustrating to say the least.

Any comments (not insults) and/or suggestions are greatly appreciatted.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 28/10/2009 1:35 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

i really like the multitrack recording - you are getting good at this recording stuff roy.

your last song suited your vocals a bit better, but you still do a much better job singing than i could!!
i thought everything guitar wise was played well!

how will you add percussion - do you use a drum package - and if so which one? oh, and it wasnt a case of "mercifully ending" as you put it - i enjoyed the listen - well done!!

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 01/11/2009 4:46 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks for listening, Al. I've been having fun with the recording. It's really tailor made for me. I've got a bunch of things started. Most just for kicks and grins. It's also quite helpful to hear what you've played a couple days after the fact. Clearer mind kind of thing.

I agree about the vocals. Bowie is not easily imitated. Such a dynamic voice. Like him or not, one has to admit that his voice is powerful at a minimum. I couldn't imagine trying to pull off Heroes or something similar. :)

Space Oddity might be something I could hit. Hmmmmm

RE Percussion: We've got a set of electronic drums now. Cheap ones gotten on a trade. My wife intends to learn them. We'll see. One way or another, they will get used.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 01/11/2009 6:25 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

cool - my drummer has an electronic set at his house which he uses when we practice.
they are really great - they can mimick all sorts of sounds.

i wish my wife would learn and instrument - it might sound a bit geeky but i'd love to have a jam with her in the house. - shared interests etc.

keep the recordings comming!!!!

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 01/11/2009 6:32 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

OK I had to chime in here...Wifes and music that is such a no no.... :lol:

Hmm my wife does know an instrument several but I'd rather she used her skills to cook me dinner!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 02/11/2009 3:55 pm
(@jase36)
Reputable Member

Roy were you using the gt10? if so what amp model were you using for the dirty tones. What are you recording with?

http://www.youtube.com/user/jase67electric

Posted : 02/11/2009 10:23 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Roy were you using the gt10? if so what amp model were you using for the dirty tones. What are you recording with?
I was using the Clean Twin (Gain:50,Level:80,Bright:off) for everything. I used on the Blues Driver (Blues OD, EffectLev:40, soloSW:off, Drive:60) overdrive for the dirty tones. I nipped it all with a compressor to help with the clipping. I used Audacity to record with. Mic-out on GT-10 to mic-in on PC.

Roy

Posted : 03/11/2009 3:07 am