Skip to content
Random covers - Hur...

Notifications
Clear all

Random covers - Hurt (complete), Pride and Joy (intro)

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@timezone)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Picked up a mic and stand package from Musician's Friend (figured it'd be better than the junky labtec boom mic I had before) and have been breaking it in this weekend.

First off I recorded Hurt, since it's one of the few songs I can play all the way through. This is the first thing I've posted here that was a complete song. Oh, and there's vocals, so beware. ;)

Then I figured I'd try micing my amp and see how that works, so I recorded just the intro to Pride and Joy. Little bit slower than it should be, but it's about the best I can manage at the moment. Parts of it I can play at the right tempo, but then other parts just fall apart. I was hoping this mic would pick up more of the bass (why is it so loud standing next to the thing, and yet the bass doesn't come through on the mic?), but alas. I'll have to start messing around w/ software EQ I guess.

Recordings here: http://timezone.dmusic.com/

TZ

Posted : 29/10/2006 4:41 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Hey TZ,

Good job on "Hurt". Vocals were a bit hard to hear, but got better towards the end. I'd boost the vocals a bit if you can.

Pride & Joy clip had pretty good tone. Keep working at it. You're almost up to tempo with it.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 29/10/2006 4:56 pm
(@timezone)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks. I didn't realize I was too far from the mic at the beginning, and got closer towards the end, which is why it came through better towards the end. I did some boosting, but the sliders in the program I'm using (ardour) didn't give much room to boost, so I think I'll have to dig into the menues to see if I can find another way to boost it. The sliders are more of a fine control, I'm really looking for a sledgehammer type of control. ;)

TZ

Posted : 29/10/2006 11:33 pm
(@morot)
Eminent Member

Don't be afraid to use your voice. Now you're just whispering into the mic like you're afraid of others hearing you. Sing from your stomach.

Posted : 31/10/2006 9:00 am
(@margaret)
Noble Member

I really enjoyed both of those. Good work!

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 31/10/2006 1:04 pm