Clear all

Something Different

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

So I thought I would go outside the country genre for a minute and mess around in a genre I have no business being in, that being R&B (I think that's what this would be). :lol:

Anyway, it's an acoustic rendition of the first part of Sean Kingstons' Take You There. Only the first part because I don't know all the words.

After hearing this though, I think I'll stick to country :lol:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=866596

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 12/09/2008 2:58 am
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Maybe my ears are a little broken*, but it sounds to me like you're off key a significant amount of time in this.

*Seriously, sometimes I think my guitar is out of tune and its in perfect tune, so it is possible I'm just hearing this weird.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 12/09/2008 3:20 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

If you are talking about my singing.....yeah I'm off key I, suck at singing, I am working to get better, but it's a slow (very slow) process.

EDIT: I just saw you were talking about my guitar DOH! I tuned it a bit before the song, but that doesn't mean that it lost it's tuning a bit during the many recording takes I did.

Posted : 12/09/2008 3:24 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hey Joe

Can I just say that I admire your perseverance with your singing, but I reckon without some tuition your gonna struggle to make a lot of progress.

You seems to have mastered the art of singing whilst playing, your guitar sounds good and this song shows that you actually have a good tonal range and quite a nice sound to your voice - but you really need someone to help you get into key.

If you can do that, I reckon you'll sound good - there! I've said it....good!!! I can just hear something that tell's me it's worth spending a few $$$$$ to find out.

Rock on!

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 12/09/2008 9:44 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Hey thanks!

I'm thinking that a bit of lessons may help me stay in key, or get in key rather, the cash just isn't there at the moment so I will be attempting to take all the great advice on technique and just practice practice practice.

The one thing that this song did for me as far as guitar go, is help me hit the B7 chord with good frequency.

Posted : 12/09/2008 12:45 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I think it will not be hard to achieve, probably it comes with a little bit of practice.

And practicing guitar and singing is always fun!

Nice version!

Posted : 13/09/2008 7:51 am
(@peaveywolfang5150)
Eminent Member

i took a listen and here is my input. i know this is just a basic recording but try to make it so there is less shhhhhhh and in the background. as far as the singing and playing goes, i think your playing is good it was the singing i was a little more concerned with. are you taking lessons? i believe that singing is very different from playing because you can practice and get better, however, some people just don't have the vocal chords for singing (especially me) i would try to work on it but if you don't see an improvement i would look for someone else to sing. (this is just my input remember)

Posted : 14/09/2008 7:27 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the input everyone!

Peavey, I don't think I understand what you mean by "less shhhh and in the background" when I listen to it I don't hear any noise in the background.

As far as singing goes, no I am not taking lessons, no cash for it at the moment, and just trying to use practice techniques and keep recording and getting other peoples feedback becuase I think that judging yourself can be rough, since we are all harder on ourselves than I think we should be.

At least on here you get constructive criticism and honest answers to what you are doing, and gives terrible people like me an audiance and way to get better!! :lol:

Posted : 15/09/2008 12:32 pm
(@peaveywolfang5150)
Eminent Member

were you singing this and playing it on the same track

Posted : 16/09/2008 1:04 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

No, they mic and guitar were recorded on separate tracks, but the mic picked up me playing as well as singing on one track, and guitar was on the other.

I use a Samson G-Track condenser mic with a line input for guitar on it and it has the controls for mixing built into the mic.

I then used GarageBand to bring up the guitar level a bit because I had it too low.

Posted : 16/09/2008 2:43 am