Skip to content
The Free Astronaut ...

Notifications
Clear all

The Free Astronaut Adam Blues Project, any opinions?

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Been struggling with this thing for a month now. The recording part was easy but I just couldn't get it to sound the way I originally planned it to sound. Finally I got it close, so I'm done with it. If you feel like you're not getting it, don't. There's precious little to be had. Opinions and comments extremely much appreciated. Drums are from my keybord, bass, guitars, keybord and vocals by me.

http://www.soundclick.com/sleutelbos

Posted : 22/09/2005 8:30 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Arjen

That was pretty good. I know you like constructive criticism, so I will tell you honestly what I think.

Drums- I thought the drum track was good. It is right there in the mix where it is supposed to be. You might add some rolls here or there, it was simple. But nothing wrong with it.

Bass- The bass was good, but maybe a little hidden in the mix. You might bring it out a little more. But you hit all the right notes at the right time.

Rhythm- This is probably where I had the biggest problem. It was a little too distorted to my liking, and too in front in the mix. I heard one or two little mistakes. I think these were the only mistakes I heard in the song.

Lead- I liked your lead guitar, especially the last solo. Very nice tone and you play very well. Keep up the good work.

Vocals- I like your voice. You should practice singing, you could be a very good singer. It is a good voice that I enjoyed listening to. So sing baby, sing!

So overall I would give it a B. Maybe re-record the rhythm to get the little mistakes out, and put it just a little further back in the mix, and bring the bass out a little more in front.

And do more singing! :D

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 25/09/2005 9:38 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Wes,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm really an arse when it comes to drums which is why I keep it basic. I barely know the official names of even the most basic 'things' in a drumkit. The bass is pushed back because of a deep chorus effect over it with which I tried to have the bass sound more 'organic', heart-beat like. It does make it incredibly muddy which makes it quite hard to push it through the mix. Maybe I should drop the effect, or atleast lower it.

As for the rhythm track I agree that it is too loud in the mix. Guess I've been trying different things too much so I just lost what I was doing. It was the last track to be mixed. As for errors, can you tell me where in the song they are? I'm sure they are there but I just don't hear them anymore. Getting insensitive to the whole rhythm track somehow.

Biggest problem remains the vocals. For some reason I have no real clue what 'my voice' is. I sing with a different voice everytime I sing a different song. And it's kinda hard to 'let it all go' when I have to focuss on how the words should be pronounced. But I'm working on it, and singing well is definitely something I want to learn.

I think I wont correct the mistakes but use the feedback for the next song. It are all little projects helping me learn the entire process from writing, performing and mixing and I'm nowhere near good enough to put something solid out. But I'm guessing I'll be far enough to do just that if I keep doing this stuff and hopefully I might that point somewhere before 2105. :lol:

So thanks for taking the time and I can live with a B for now. Plenty of time to learn how to make an A... 8)

Posted : 25/09/2005 10:50 pm
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Arjen,
The lead lines were really nice. Very nice job with there. I'd agree that the rhythm is either to loud, or to dirty.

I thought the vocals were good, the whole thing has a very cool, somehow futuristic sound to it. I think it may be helpful if you lowered the effects just a tad, to clear some things up.

The drums did sound basic, but they fit with the song, so it isn't a big deal at all.

I couldn't hear the errors in the rhythm, but I probably wasn't listening as intently as Wes was.

Cool stuff,

Taso

lol PS
Your "artist page" or whatever is halarious. Makes me wonder if you're insane, but funny nontheless.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 25/09/2005 11:49 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks Taso, much apreciated. Maybe I'll do a quick remix once this topic has died so I can fix the obvious wrongs without breaking my own rule too much. And I don't think I'm insane right now. I'm never insane on a monday, only amateur wacko's are insane on monday.

Posted : 26/09/2005 2:15 pm