Skip to content
was hendrix murdere...

Notifications
Clear all

was hendrix murdered? yes - by me just now!!

12 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter

My lazy day off was spent in part watching the footie, and in part making a video of my version of little wing.
well - i learned a lot from watching this back

1) my shorts are horrendous :D
2) i dont suit a beard :D

guitar wise - the need to follow chord tones really shows - here i just use the pentatonic scale, as i dont know what the chords are, and after i used most of my licks up i really ran out of ideas - i must make the effort in future to introduce some arpeggio's and try to follow the chord progression more and target notes - this is perhaps just lazyness on my half by not learning the chords before i did this.

Also, i know the intro is poor, in truth i havent learned it properly yet - i dont know if i ever will, unless the guys in the band want to play this - but this was more of just a improvised jam with my new guitar for fun.

About a year ago i posted a blues improv vid - from which i got some very useful constructive criticism, that video has been deleted but if anybody remembers watching it i hope this shows at least some imporvement.

as always, i really value the advice and comments from people on here - i'd be lost without you :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxOi2eI4RUA
nearly forgot - here is the link.

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 09/08/2009 4:32 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Haven't had a chance to give it a listen yet, but if it's half as good as the thread title I'm going to love it!
:)

Don

Posted : 09/08/2009 4:47 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I don't think you did too bad actually. The opening could use some practice, but for your 1st time I'd say not bad. Some pretty tasty licks in there as well. I really liked the little sweep picking riff. 8) What kind of guitar is that?

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 09/08/2009 6:48 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter

cheers Dan - the opening could definately do with learning, i just have so many other songs to learn with the band i cant justify spending the time learning this - but it is on my list as a "one day i will learn" song.. I rarely get the chance just to "play for fun" through an amp in my house, so today i just had a ball.

The guitar is a cort x-6 ht.

i dont think they are top range at all, but it is a good contrast to my vintage les paul copy. i am just getting used to it at the minute, as the bridge feels so much different to a les paul and that is where i rest my hand. hopefully before long i will get the feel for it.
it has a coil tap - but i have no idea what that is meant to do??

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."

Posted : 09/08/2009 6:55 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

The coil tap lets you switch between using both coils on the humbucker, to just one coil to get more of a Strat sound so you have more tones to choose from. Nice guitar.

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 09/08/2009 7:22 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Not bad! I wouldn't have known there was a mistake but for the "oops" tag LOL.

Love the title of the topic.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 10/08/2009 4:31 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Hendrix wasn't murdered and neither was this.
you actually did pretty good. with more practice you could play without any flaws.
your left hand is faster than mine by far. this seems a comfortable speed for you.
listening to my stuff you know I play much slower.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 12/08/2009 10:48 am
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter

thanks dogbite - my problem with a song like this is how do you actually learn to play it properly. the solo, i could find tab for, but the way he plays the intro is very difficult for me to see how he does it - even with tab.

if i were to learn it properly, i would have to get an instructor to show me the intro - but for you experienced players here, is this something which you would expect one day to be able to figure out yourselves??

Posted : 12/08/2009 11:38 am
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

guitar wise - the need to follow chord tones really shows - here i just use the pentatonic scale, as i dont know what the chords are, and after i used most of my licks up i really ran out of ideas - i must make the effort in future to introduce some arpeggio's and try to follow the chord progression more and target notes - this is perhaps just lazyness on my half by not learning the chords before i did this.
Well, it seems like you know what you have to work on. I got the feeling that you weren't really feeling what you were playing, more like, as you said, you were just playing some licks. "licks" are important, but they shouldn't comprise the entirety of your work, they should be used as occasional filler. In any case, they need to be, in the least, connected to one another.

Looking at target notes would greatly help what you're doing, I agree. Learning the chords will help with that, but ultimately it comes down to familiarity with the scale, and hearing the piece over and over again so you are able to hit the right notes at the right times without even thinking about it.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 13/08/2009 5:29 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter

you are very right Taso - "hearing" the scale in my head seems a long way from where i am now, but hopefully i will get there - that is the aim anyway :D

i am going to spend the last weeks of my holiday finding another backing track - REALLY REALLY getting familar with the chord changes and actually planning what i want to play. ill post it here soon and hopefully there will be an improvement.

i have never really bothered to study a backing track before a jam - even in the jams on here i have just improvised my way through it - i am interested to see what improvement i can make, and what i am capable of with a bit of thought.

watch this space - i'll be back :D

and thanks for all those who listened and watched my ugly mug :lol:

Posted : 13/08/2009 6:29 pm
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Almann,

This is why it is often recommended, when first starting to improvise, to begin with a standard 12 bar blues. The chord changes are incredibly easy, and won't give you much trouble. I don't know how much you know and what you don't know, so to be brief, I'll say that most 12 bar blues look like one of the two following progressions:

I/IV/I/I/IV/IV/I/I/V/IV/I/V

or

I/I/I/I/IV/IV/I/I/V/IV/I/V

Also, again, I don't know how much you know or don't know, but, to be brief:

I = the one Chord, eg, if you're in the Key of A, the one chord is A (A B C D E F G
IV = the four chord, eg, if you're in the key of A, the four chord is D (A B C D E F G)
V = the five chord, eg, if you're in the key of A, the five chord is E (A B C D E F G)

You know, I wrote a half decent lesson on this with David that I never got around to finishing.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 14/08/2009 1:10 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Lots of good guitar playing in there. Little Wing was one of the songs that inspired me to pick up the guitar long and still remains something I can't even touch yet. I do have the song TAB in a SRV and a Hendrix book. Look at them each once in a while. Maybe this time next year.......

Anyhow, again, nice playing. :D

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 16/08/2009 6:11 pm