Skip to content
Adding drums and ot...

Notifications
Clear all

Adding drums and other synth instruments to a recording...

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@surly)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Ive recorded quite a few tracks with my acoustic and vocals, but i want to add a drum track and maybe mess around with adding a few other synthed instruments here and there, like a bass guitar or a double bass, maybe violin.

Im just wondering, what programs to you guys use? Ive used hammerhead, which is a bit too basic and beatcraft for the drums. But once you've made a drum track to you export it to audacity or whatever? How do you guys make sure it is in sync? like make a rough drum track (at the right tempo) and then play it in your headphones while you record vocals and guitar? i was thinking of getting a digital metronome with headphones, but i guess a computer program can do the same job.

I also have a really really old keyboard, but i think id be better off with a virtual keyboard or something to synth other instruments, is there anything particularly good? Im not looking for anything too complicated.

My interface came with Cubase LE and gigastudio 3 but i havent really explored them that much. Would they be useful or are they just more complicatedfancy versions of audacity?

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I use Cubase. First I set the main file to the correct tempo and activate the metronome. When I'm done recording most instruments I set Groove Agent as a VST instrument, have it follow the rhythm of the track and set it up in whatever way I want.

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Hi Arjen,

Does Groove Agent come with Cubase LE? I thought it was a fairly expensive instrument in itself (maybe you have full Cubase).

I also saw some other third party program which similarly follows the beat, but it was also not cheap (about $200.) Do you know of any relatively inexpensive VST instruments which have similar functionality? (I have Ableton Lite 4.0 and Cakewalk Music Creator, neither one is great for drum patterns...I would like something better).

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

No, Groove Agent is indeed fairly expensive and does not come with any kind of Cubase. I believe Nick recently made a post here with some links for external drums, I'll see if I can find it. Personally I consider those commercial VSTs more then worth the money, amazing what you can do with them, but it's a matter of how much you plan to do with it.

ReplyQuote