Clear all

Analog Rig or Digital Rig-Please Help Me Decide

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@cmaracz)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Well, so I have a Tascam MF-01 (?) Portastudio and a Pearl dynamic microphone that I was thinking about making the core of a home recording rig. I was listing things that I'd need to go to the music store downtown and get. Small things mostly, such as high bias tape and a mic stand. Also, I planned on getting a cable that runs stereo from the two outs on the 4-track to the 1 line in on my computer so that I can edit and compile on the comp.

On the other hand, I became aware of a microphone that Samson is selling. The c01u. It's a "studio condenser microphone" that plugs directly into usb. On eBay they are relatively cheap as well.

So now I'm confused whether I should adapt the 4-track so that it can send information properly to the computer (probably involving a sound-card upgrade or something) or whether I should just sell the 4-track and get myself a Samson C01u.

Anyone want to make a suggestion and/or tell me the advantaged and disadvantages of each system? Will the audio be of hgiher quality using a usb microphone or transfering from a tape rig? Will one be more limiting than the other?

Thanks.