another thread on recording to the computer

12 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 jane
(@jane)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks in advance for anyones advice here.

i have an imac g3 computer. what i'd really like is garageband but i'd need a g4 or g5 mac and that is out of the question for now. i'd like to know a good inexpensive way to record my prodigous guitar talent for posterity! seriously, i'd like to record, for myself, both my acoustic and electric playing. is the only thing i need a microphone? if so, what would be a good one? would i need anything else?

formerly "new writer" until someone said they didn't like my name

(@hueseph)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Also, check out audacity.  It's opensource.  It is free and will remain free, yet it is being continually updated.  I find it simpler to use than ProTools Free, but ProTools really is the standard.  Both are cross platform and work great on a mac.

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Only audacity doesn't work on mac.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

??? I use it on my mac.  It's Mac, Windows, & Linux.  And I only own Macs.

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

My appologies. I thought it was Windows/Linux only.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

What about us with Windows XP?

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
 jane
(@jane)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

hueseph: thanks for the link.s i got protools, the mac version, but for some reason i can't use it. every time i try to open it it says that i need something different. i haven't tried the others yet.

what about a microphone? would i be able to record directly into my hard drive with only a microphone?

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Did you get "ProTools Free"?  The others require digidesign hardware to run.

ReplyQuote
 jane
(@jane)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

yeah, i got the free download. i'll try running it again. what's an INIT? The last time i tried it said that I need an INIT. some sort of extension, maybe?

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Yeah, an INIT is an extension.  Just make sure The program is actaully CALLED "ProTools Free". (sorry to be redundant, I think they let you download any of their software, since it will only run if you buy their hardware, except for "Free".)
  Read the "ReadMe" file, I seem to remember having to install a second file that downloaded with the main program.  I think installation is discussed in some of the text somewhere.
  I also remember having some difficulty getting the program to accept sound input, I'll try to remember what I had to do, if you have this same problem.
  Just a warning, this program is an industry standard, but it isn't simple to use.  Powerful, yes.  If you learn it you will have a skill that will be transferable to many studios (or so I read, having never been in a real studio).  Again, to be redundant, I use Audacity mostly, partly because I find it to be less work.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

What about us with Windows XP?

That's Audacity for us too.

ReplyQuote