Audacity Problem. Silence In Tracks!

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@matsuemon)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone,
Just a quick question about Audacity. I've used it quite a bit to multitrack some parts, and it works great, as well as having a timing grid at the top, so you can see the seconds, minutes, etc. But, a few times when I've spent tons of time putting parts together, its playing back smoothly and sounding great, and then BAM, the drum part or another part will just cut out for five or ten seconds, then cut back in for no apparent reason! Am I alone here or has this happened to anyone else? If so, how did you fix it? I'm thinking I might just switch to another program.

(@hueseph)
Noble Member

This is likely due to a slow or full hard drive. Also it is best to record to a seperate drive from your system drive. A 7200 RPM drive is fine. Your system is constantly accessing your system drive so any time your OS has to access the drive there is potential for a drop out. Also, make sure you defragment your drive regularly. If you have a laptop, invest in an external drive, they are getting very affordable now.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@matsuemon)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

This is likely due to a slow or full hard drive. Also it is best to record to a seperate drive from your system drive. A 7200 RPM drive is fine. Your system is constantly accessing your system drive so any time your OS has to access the drive there is potential for a drop out. Also, make sure you defragment your drive regularly. If you have a laptop, invest in an external drive, they are getting very affordable now.

Hello again Hueseph. No my computer is brand new, so the hard drive is largely free and definately not slow. However, I was wondering about weather or not I should get an external hard drive or partition my hard drive because I've heard many people mention that as well. So, using an external hard drive for all my music stuff won't cause any more lag than if it was the regular, internal drive?

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

As long it's a high speed connection you should be ok. You should use Kristal Audio engine instead of Audacity. Audacity is great for stereo editin but not great for multitracking. Kristal will allow you to use ASIO drivers and VST effects in realtime.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote