Clear all

Audacity+PodXTL+Amplifire Vol Levels ?

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@sarton)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

So, I have this spiffy PodXT Live gizmo. I also have this computer. They're linked to one another via USB. The XTL is plugged into the effects return on my amp. Here's the problem I'm having: When I want to record to the computer, I have to turn the volumes on the XTL up to get anything more than a whisper in Audacity. That means I have to turn the amp off, lest I blow the windows out of my house.

Is there a way to get decent levels in Audacity, yet cut back the volume on the Pod to keep it down comming out of the amp? Software playback isn't an option, because I cannot play with a .5sec delay (I play it, 1/2 sec later it comes out of the computer's speakers). Are headphones the only (appropriate option)?

A sucking chest wound is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

Godin Freeway Classic, PodXT Live, Seymour-Duncan 84-50.
(All this so I could learn 'Twinkle, Twinkle, Little' Star for my youngest.)

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I don't have a specific answer for you but I think the reasons others are not replying is because it is supposed to work.

It could be something as simple as running up the volume on XT and run low volume on the amp. Or, it could be the amp vs. line settings etc. I even went and looked at the manual and could not figure it out. Not a very good manual, more like a product brochure with what it does vs, how to do it.

If you want to decrease the latency you can download ASIO4ALL which is a generic ASIO driver that might help. Helped me with my M-Audio preUSB coming in from the interface and going out through the PC internal sound card.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@sarton)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've asked on Line6 forums as well. There is a master volume on the back of the PodXT. I'm going to experiment with it a bit to see if it also affects the levels going to the USB.

The problem I have is my connection is guitar->xtl->amp_efx_return. There is no volume control on the input from the efx. So, if the vol is cranked on the xtl, the (50w tube) amp is rocking. Some might argue that's not a bad thing, but my wife (neighbors, neighborhood animals, etc) seem to disagree.

I think the final solution will be to buy a decent pair of headphones with their own volume control, and to build an attenuator for the amp.

ReplyQuote
(@tricountytrail)
Trusted Member

So, I have this spiffy PodXT Live gizmo. I also have this computer. They're linked to one another via USB. The XTL is plugged into the effects return on my amp. Here's the problem I'm having: When I want to record to the computer, I have to turn the volumes on the XTL up to get anything more than a whisper in Audacity. That means I have to turn the amp off, lest I blow the windows out of my house.

Is there a way to get decent levels in Audacity, yet cut back the volume on the Pod to keep it down comming out of the amp? Software playback isn't an option, because I cannot play with a .5sec delay (I play it, 1/2 sec later it comes out of the computer's speakers). Are headphones the only (appropriate option)?

When recording you have to select the "input" whitch to record.
Audacity usually uses the Line In input. take the line out from your amp, rca or 1/4" to the line in of your computer.
The pod also has line outs you could use but you wouldn't get the overdrive and tone of the amp.
Open the volume control of the computer lick on option, properties, then recording select the input you want and make sure it is muted the slider adjusts the level, this can also be adjusted in audacity.
Good Luck!
hope this helps

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction ...and sometimes a scar!

“Pain heals, chicks dig scars, and glory lasts forever.”

ReplyQuote
(@sarton)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Just in case anyone is curious...

A recap: I wanted to record my playing, but was having trouble with volume levels. My PodXTL was driving my amp way too loud when I had the volumes turned up. However, in turning down the volume, the levels going into the computer were too low. My guitar is connected to the xtl, which is then connected to the efx-in of my amp. The xtl is also connected to my computer via usb. The efx-in on my amp is after the main volume control, so the only way I can control the amps volume (in this config) is to adjust the levels it receives. In short, not enough going to computer, too much going to amp.

The solution: On the back of the xtl is a small knob. It's labeled LEVEL. This only controls the level of the output to the amp. It does not affect the levels going to the usb. So, it is possible to turn down the LEVEL knob to keep the amp quiet, but still play at 'full volume'.

HTH anyone else who might be wondering.

ReplyQuote