Clear all

Backing Tracks

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@tzatta)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone
I would like to make backing tracks of my favourite songs. Is there a piece of software I can buy that will let me 'fade out' riffs and whatnot?

I know I can get software that will help me to build songs, but what I am asking for is the ability to take a song (say from a cd) upload it to my pc and fade out bits so I end up with a backing track.

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The answer is "sort of". A CD track, like any stereo track, consists of left and right tracks, which are not totally discrete. There is bleed from the right track onto the left and vice versa - just like "real" hearing, your left ear hears some of the sounds, coming from the right and vice versa.

The lead vocal is equally balanced on both tracks (usually, anyway). There is software that will take out the lead vocal, but also some of the backing music, as well. As I understand it, the software looks for identical sound patterns on both tracks and neutralises any that it finds - it can only do this, effectively, if the lead vocal is panned dead centre. Any bleed, from one side to the other will also get removed.
In my experience, you tend to end up with a very quiet lead vocal and most of the backing or no lead vocal and a very odd sounding backing. For practising at home, the result is usable.

Pulling, say, a lead guitar out of a track is far more difficult, if not impossible, because they tend to be panned off to somewhere away from the centre.

There may well be hardware out there that makes a good job, but I wouldn't reckon that the average person could afford one.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@tzatta)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply greybeard and thanks for the excellent explanation as well. I will have a look around and try some demo/trial downloads. Wont hurt to give it a go.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

here is a link to a nice backing track collection. there are a few good ones here.
I know it isn't exactly what you are looking for. I haven't heard of software that can remove specific instruments in a CD track completely.

http://www.guitarbt.com/index.php?page=dl_list

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@tzatta)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone
dogbite..thank you. Lots of good tracks there. :D

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

You should check out Best Practice. You can slow down, speed up, loop certain sections, shift the pitch up or down. It has a Karaoke mode that uses low and high pass filters to suppress frequencies. I use it isolate bass lines.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote