Clear all

Behringer UB502 HELP!

17 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@adrian_toronto)
Topic starter  

Hi guys,

another nube here when it comes to setting up my stuff, and hoping somebody could help. I just got a Behringer UB 502 (yes the little dinky 4 channel mixer) and I cant seem to get my mic to work. Ive connected it to my laptop PC and I cant get levels, neither on the mixer, or on the comp. I have sound coming through the mixer from the PC but not the other way.

What I have done:

I used the Y cables to connect my imputs to the sound output on my laptop, and did the same with the mic, by going out the main outs and connecting to the mic port.
But nothing. Any help would be grand!

(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Hi Adrian
I am using the big brother UB 802
I have connected soundcard line out port to to Mixer tape input and Mixer Main out to soundcard line in port. The mic input port on the soundcard is not used.
The mic is then connected to Mixers Mic input.
With the mixers "tape to phones" button pressed in, I use headphones to listen/monitor the sound from the soundcard.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_toronto)
Topic starter  

FIrst off...thanks for replying.
So the Tape in's on the mixer go into the main outs??
I dont get it?
I have my condenser mic hooked up thru the XLR...and then the Line In's from the mixer going into the soundcard.
I still dont have the mic working?
Im probably retarted, but can you try explaining again?
Thanks,

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_toronto)
Topic starter  

Okay...so I actually got it to work after playing aroudn with in relation to the settings you told me about, but now my voice comes out all distorted witha weird sort of ringing in the background, what can i do to fix this??

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

if i'm not mistaken i don't think the ub502 has phantom power.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_toronto)
Topic starter  

It does not have phantom power. So what am I to do?

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

The simplest way (and probably cheapest) is to buy a dynamic mic that can be used without phantom power. Buying a UB 802 mixer (has phantom power) is another.
If you want to use the condenser mic and the mixer you have, you need to buy a separate mic pre-amplifier with phantom power.

Behringer Ultragain MIC 100 is one http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-TUBE-ULTRAGAIN-MIC100-Preamp?sku=182482

Behringer XM8500 Microphone is good an low cost dynamic mic
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-XM8500-Microphone?sku=270490

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_toronto)
Topic starter  

Kalle,
Thanks for the advice.
I went out and returned my 502 for an 802, only I stil have the same problem.
Levels are very low, and cant be booted up without hearing everything in the backgroud.
Maybe I am doint something wrong, but it just doesnt seem to work.
Thanks again for all your help.

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Hi Adrian

Thats a problem with all mics, and if you have a mic that has a circular polar (pickup) pattern it can be difficult to use in a normal "home" room.
That why vocal mics has a cardioid polar pattern thats rejects sound from the back and sides.

A control question about the mics function with and without phantom feeding.
Are you using the XLR input mic connector on the mixer and is the mic signal increased when activate phantom feeding ?

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_toronto)
Topic starter  

Kalle,
yes I am using the XLR, and the mic is turned up quite high when the phantom is switched on and I still get very limited levels, any other advice?
Cheers,

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Hi
What I can understand is that the Mixer and Mic are working OK, even if the output level from the mic is a bit low. Have you turned up the GAIN knob (on mixer) to max, it should be as high as possible without that PEAK indicator LED is flashing when you sing loud in the mic .
The mic should be held 3-5 inches from the mouth.

When I record with a mic, I have the following settings on my UB802:
-Mic input Gain knob = max or just below peak indicator flashing
-Mic channel LEVEL knob = nearly at max
-Main Mix knob = in the mid ( 0 on the scale)

Then the 0 dB output level indicator is flashing

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I am not familiar with your Behrenger gear but I have worked with mixers.

I think you need to go back to some basics.

The first thing you should do is connect the microphone to the mixer. With a pair of acceptible headphones also connected to the mixer, work on getting a quality sound from your microphone, regardless of computer or any other device. Microphone to mixer to headphones. Until you have that working you can not go any further.

Second, I'm not sure what else you are mixing but you should also plug any other devices into the mixer and set the levels accordingly.

Once everything sounds good through your headphones you should be able to connect your mixer to anything else and proceed from there.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@jminor)
Estimable Member

The first thing you should do is connect the microphone to the mixer. With a pair of acceptible headphones also connected to the mixer, work on getting a quality sound from your microphone, regardless of computer or any other device. Microphone to mixer to headphones. Until you have that working you can not go any further.

Excellent advice from bish...

Start from the source and add components until you find the problem... otherwise you're just poking around in the dark.

J

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_toronto)
Topic starter  

Thanks to all of you for your help.
The problem is that I have my condeser mic (XLR 770) hooked up to the mixer, with the levels all the way up.
It comes out really echoey...and theres a slight riniging in the background (kind of like an old school alarm clock).
I dont know if this is just supporting noise from my laptop. Some people have suggested I get a uni-directional mic,
Im thinking about it, but I hate to give up so easily, as this mic is beautiful.
Again,
Thank You ALL!

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_toronto)
Topic starter  

THANK YOU EVERYBODY!
After playing around for less than an hour, I figured out what the problem was.
Big kudos to Bish and Kalle.
After using some of the ideas you gave me I figured out what it was, and now I have
awesome quality out of my mic, nothing distorted, and i dont have to return or trade
anything it.
Cheers,
Adrian

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2