Clear all

big problem/help needed/signal never over 0 db

17 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
 moof
(@moof)
Topic starter  

I'am trying to build a home studio.I 've got my pc with win XP home and some mics and stuff.I also have some programs to record such as cubase,cakewalk home studio,ableton live,cool edit
My problem is that in that no signal i put in the pc,however big that is it never goes over 0 Db .Even if i amplify the signal from a programs fader it still remains under 0 db.(for cakewalk -6db).On the other hand when the signal is amplified and near 0 db its distorted!!.I never have the red peak to tell me that my signal is distorted.i just have to guess
My pc behaves as if it has a built in limiter or compressor(bad ones).It is not the programs cause it happens to all of them.It is not the soundcard cause i have tried to solve the problem with other soundcard ut still the same.I ve seen the same problem is 2 more pc's i hope its something common so that there is solution.
I will be happy with any suggestions on this problem...Anything please help :(

I LOVE MUSIC ..THE GREEK MOOF

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

If your sound card/audio interface does not have its own volume control application (high-end cards do), then you will probably need to make some adjustments via the Windows volume control. Open the Windows volume control using the tray speaker icon or the control panel. Under the Volume Control Option menu select Properties and click the Recording radio button. Check all the control check-boxes and click Okay. This will bring up the recording level controls. Experiment with these. It is likely the line or mic input (whichever you use) is set too low and you are overdriving the PC audio card input to compensate.

When I record with a PC, I usually monitor in real time (headphones) to avoid distortion and keep the max to -1 dB full scale (a.k.a., FFS). Also remember that at mixdown, the sum of all combined signals must not clip, so usually every signal gets some attenuation for mixdown.

Good luck -- Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 moof
(@moof)
Topic starter  

First of all i THANKS SO MUCH for the reply whoever you are.Its the first time i participate in a conversation like that and its really nice

However it is nothing like that you mentioned.I have wondered for hours in the :control panel/sound: field and no result.I have a semi proffesional sound card (ESI waveterminal 192M) with a very comprehensive mixing control interface. :?
I am almost sure that the only person that can help me is someone that had the same problem and solved it,but i am very happy with ANY suggestions

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

The db scale in recording programs uses negative numbers. Im not sure what the exact scale is, but for a signal to be close to 0 db is normal, assuming you can hear the signal and it dosen't sound distorted.

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
 moof
(@moof)
Topic starter  

MY PROBLEM IS THAT THE SIGNALS IN ANY PROGRAM ACT AS IF IT IS PROHIBITED TO GO OVER 0 DB EVEN IF I PUMP UP THE FADERS OR RECORD WITH MY MOUTH TOUCHING THE MICROPHONE AND SCREAMING.I have distortion WHILE MY SIGNALS SHOW I AM IN -3DB

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

This just means your metering stage -- probabably the recording software is after the stage that is in distortion. The distorted stage is most likely your sound card input. Your sound card has balanced mic inputs in 1/4 inch TRS format (the plug looks like a stereo headphone jack - but is not used that way). If you happen to be using and unbalanced (TR jack that looks like guitar lead) source, then the clip level would very likely occur at -6 dB relative to full scale. Are you by chance using a cheapo unbalanced mic cable into the 1/4 inch balanced inputs? If you are using the wrong type of mic cable, you will be throwing away half the signal voltage at the clip (max level), as well as at and every other point. Do you understand the difference between balanced and unbalanced signals?

... and please DON'T YELL -- you may be frustrated, but it is annoying.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

MY PROBLEM IS THAT THE SIGNALS IN ANY PROGRAM ACT AS IF IT IS PROHIBITED TO GO OVER 0 DB EVEN IF I PUMP UP THE FADERS OR RECORD WITH MY MOUTH TOUCHING THE MICROPHONE AND SCREAMING.I have distortion WHILE MY SIGNALS SHOW I AM IN -3DB

SHH! Not so loud! :wink:

I'll try to keep this fairly simple, but it's a complex subject

It's not a problem, it's the way it works.

0 dB in a digital recording system represents the maximum level that can be recorded or played back. Any any signal louder than that will simply have the top of the waveform chopped off, which makes it sound distorted.

Most of the time, you won't want to record anywhere near that level. The software meters in a recording program only respond fast enough to show the average level of your input. Guitars and voices can get louder or softer much faster than your meters can respond. These rapid changes in volume are usually called transients. If you're recording at an average level of 0 dB ( or even -3dB), then it's almost certain that you'll have a large amount of transient peak levels much louder than that. These transient peaks cause the input levels to clip, which is probably the cause of most of the distortion you're hearing. Most recording programs have some type of indicator that will let you know if your signal is being clipped.

Back your input levels down until the recorded sound cleans up. Most likely you'll be seeing them average between -12 to -6 dB, which should give you plenty of headroom to allow for transient peaks - especially if you use a bit depth of 24 bits, and a higher sample rate (48, 88.2 or 96 Khz)

This thread contains a link to a song I've recorded. All of the instruments were recorded at about -10 dB.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

"Complex" is a good way of putting it, Moonrider.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 moof
(@moof)
Topic starter  

:oops: First of all i am sorry for yelling.I have told before that its the first time i talk in a forum.Acually i didn't know that capital letters is yelling.I should guess of course,but finally a friend explained me.I really apreciate you are trying to help me.From the size of your replies i can see that you offered at least 5' of your time for me.(lately i havent spent that amount of time even for people i know).THANKS VERY MUCH GUYS.
The two last posts you made indicate that if i change my cables it might work,and i will do it with balanced.Actually in cakewalk the peaks stuck exactly at -6db.
But please let me describe my problem again in other words.

"i never see the red light turning on,on the peak meters of the mixers interface in any program.I want that to happen because i don't want to guess in wich level my signal doesn't peak.I want to see the red light on the top of the meter (in the square) turning on when i have a transient so that i push my recording to the limit and have the least signal to noise ratio."

from "gneases" last words i understand that the cables i use, can't stand a signal as big as my soundcard limit is.it is something like wanting to pass big amount of water through a small pipe(cable),and after that blaming your brand new big Tap(the sound card or pc) for the problem.IS IT like that????

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

:
"i never see the red light turning on,on the peak meters of the mixers interface in any program.I want that to happen because i don't want to guess in wich level my signal doesn't peak.I want to see the red light on the top of the meter (in the square) turning on when i have a transient so that i push my recording to the limit and have the least signal to noise ratio."

That sounds like you're getting signal loss somewhere. If your interface expects a balanced signal, and you're not using balanced cables to connect, I'd start wwith getting a set of good TRS patch cables and start from there.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

from "gneases" last words i understand that the cables i use, can't stand a signal as big as my soundcard limit is.it is something like wanting to pass big amount of water through a small pipe(cable),and after that blaming your brand new big Tap(the sound card or pc) for the problem.IS IT like that????

Balanced inputs/outputs convey signals through two "pipes" each of which carries half the total signal voltage in opposite polarities (one positive, one negative). Each signal carries all the audio information, but when both are properly combined at a balanced input will provide twice the available signal voltage, plus cancel hum and noise picked up on the cable. When you use the wrong type of cable (unbalanced), you are only providing one of these two "pipes," thus delivering only half the signal to your balanced input, and also losing a good part of the hum and noise rejection provided in a balanced system.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 moof
(@moof)
Topic starter  

:) First of all thank you again for your replies.I am very happy that for the first time i clearly understood what balanced cables do.And i will go straight to buy.
On the other hand let me give you another example that COMPLETELY describes my problem.
I load a waveform in an editor (cool edit for example).I "select all" the waveform and from the effects list i apply "amplify 50 db" after that my waveform is completely white and huge.I press "play" and still my meters dont go over 0 db!!!!!!!.Of course the sound is completely distorted but i cant see it in my peak meters.It is driving me crazyyyy helppp.
I have worked with sound in many pc's in my job(i make radio spots) on the radio.And there are pc's that this happens and others that it doesn't happen.I am telling you,its not only my problem it appears a lot.
The common thing in these cases is that there is except for the good soundcard a Realtek AC 97 on board soundcard,but its sure that the programs(and the windows) are adjusted to use the pci good soundcard....
Again thanks

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I load a waveform in an editor (cool edit for example).I "select all" the waveform and from the effects list i apply "amplify 50 db" after that my waveform is completely white and huge.I press "play" and still my meters dont go over 0 db!!!!!!!

Here's article that may help you make sense of what's happening:
Level Practices in Digital Audio

ReplyQuote
 moof
(@moof)
Topic starter  

:( I read the article and its usefull but a little too complicated for me.I just want to know how high i can take my faders up without having distortion.And as far as i know,when the red light lights you must stop rising the fader take it a little bit down and leave it there.
Right now i have NO OPTICAL WARNING that my music is gonna be distorted in the mixdown or not.And i am asking What is the use of the square on the top of the peak meters when there is never an indication on it?Maybe the article can help me to work without that indication but i don't want to do that.
Again and again thanks for your time.I understand its hard to talk about these things through the internet and i really apreciate your effort to help

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Just to be certain that the AC97 is not interfering in any way, go into the BIOS and switch the onboard sound card, game card, etc off.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2