Notifications
Clear all

Classic Rock/Heavy Blues tones?

24 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@canrockonthis)
Topic starter  

I'm influenced by R.Gallagher, James Gang (Rides Again), Grand Funk Railroad, Uriah Heep, Clapton/Cream, early Santana, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath kind of TONES.

How I can get this kind of Classic Rock sound on tape ....in my apartment if possible?

I've got Fender/Gibson, Marshall 30th Anniversary with 12x4 Celestions Greenback 25W.
Protools LE 002.

Do I need anything else? How I should get it done?

I'm talking just about how to get THAT tone I like ? How create it and how print it? ...in apartment??

Rock will never die

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

The Line 6 POD is pretty good for going straight to tape without killing small/medium sized animals within a 2 block radius. ;)

ReplyQuote
(@thetallcoolone)
Estimable Member

As far as I'm concern, the best way to get classic tones is with either Amplitube or Guitar Rig simulators.
They are either standalone or VST plugins.
Simply the best amp simulators available today.

I'm an Amplitube guy myself mainly becuase of its simplicity but Guitar Rig will allow you more tweaking of your sound.
Start up your ProTool and activate the VST plugin, plug your guitar directly in and you get the exact sound of the greats, past and present. Both comes with presets for each guitar gods out there; Clapton, Hendrix, Blackmore, Santana, Page, Satriani, Johnson, etc... you name it, it's there.

I live in a small appartment and cannot crank up my gear to any decent sounding levels.
Amplitube saved my guitar sounds at neighbour approved levels.
I can record a fierce Metallica sound at 3AM without any complaint from anyone. (not that I can play any though but that's another discussion altogether.)

The only thing missing is the guitar/amp interaction you get when you crank up your gear, mainly the controled feedback.
Nothing can really replace that.

http://www.soundclick.com/thetallcoolone

ReplyQuote
(@canrockonthis)
Topic starter  

Thanks, everyone!

Yes, mercy...

Would Treble Booster make my tone more like those days tones with Dallas Rangemaster...?
What if I use attenuator, to keep it quite? Would it work?

Speaking of software, is any way to duplicate Dallas Rangemaster treble booster?
Sorry, if it is silly q... :oops:

Thanks!

Rock will never die

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

The only thing missing is the guitar/amp interaction you get when you crank up your gear, mainly the controled feedback.

That's one thing I really, REALLY miss; especially when used with a nice wah pedal. :)

ReplyQuote
(@canrockonthis)
Topic starter  

Soo, if I'll use Treble Booster (Beano?) into Marshall and attenuator (Weber?) before cab?? :roll:

and wah-wahaaaa ah ah aaah...?

Opinions?

Rock will never die

ReplyQuote
(@thetallcoolone)
Estimable Member

It might work, I've never tried that combinaison.
Personally, even though an attenuator will let you crank your amp while keeping the volume down, it never really did it for me.
But I'm not one of immence experience on that front, it is something I tried some 20 years ago or so.
Today's technology might yeild a better result. (though I doubt it, the way sound is reproduced is still the same as it was 50 years ago)

I still vouch for Amplitube or Guitar Rig.

ReplyQuote
(@thetallcoolone)
Estimable Member

That's one thing I really, REALLY miss; especially when used with a nice wah pedal. :)
This afternoon I did crank up my computer sound (I'm hooked to a little Yamaha home system) and managed to get a little feedback while playing.
It felt SOOOOO nice! :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@canrockonthis)
Topic starter  

Rock forever!
I've got all of them - Line6 xtPro Bass/Guitar, Amplitude in Protools, Guitar Rig 1&2...

Still, wanna THAT tone. And for real :twisted:

Thanks, for company!

Rock will never die

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

The Damage Control Womanizer looks interesting for doing what you want.

http://www.damagecontrolusa.com/wmz.htm

I don't have one nor have I seen one "in person". I've only listened to the samples online and watched the video.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

classic rock= tube amp, tubescreamer, wah .
all you need.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

classic rock= tube amp, tubescreamer, wah .
all you need. Don't forget ..place where you can crank said tube amp! :twisted:

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Get yourself a hot-plate or weber attenuator.
Set up your sound chain with a wah, tube-screamer, and eq's at the start and end of the chain.
Crank the amp over the top and use the natural tube distortion. You don't need to go heavy on the distortion effects. Less is, generally speaking, more!

Get a couple of good tube pre-amps and two small condensor cardoid mics.

Mic one speaker slightly off-center from the cone at aabout a 45 degree angle to the speaker but still actually IN the speaker cone space. Put the second mic back about 2 feet from the amp and more or less 90 degrees to the first mic.

play around with your gain staging to make sure the only clipping is happening AT THE AMP. Your pre's and board should not be adding significant gain to the signal at all, and certainly shouldn't be clipping! You'll find that cheaper pre's will clip no matter what you do . . . make sure that your pre has plenty of headroom!

Hit record and go to town.

During mix-down, you'll want to mix the two mic signals into a single stereo channel, with about a 60-40 blend on one side, and 40-60 on the other. Also make sure that you're mic's are not out of phase .. if they are you'll want to move the second mic back and fort to find the sweet spot.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@canrockonthis)
Topic starter  

Thank you, everyone!!

Hot Plate or Weber? which one? or just buy instead small amp 20w, Orange or Vox AC 30??

Why some say Treble Booster is important to get that vintage Rock/Blues TONE?
Which Dallas Rangemaster clone is THE best???

Thank you very much for your time!

Rock forever!

Rock will never die

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

or just buy instead small amp 20w, Orange or Vox AC 30??

Small tube amps => Epi Valve Junior (5W)! But, you will still need the attenuator to be able to crank it.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2