Clear all

Computer Interface vs Mixer?

12 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm trying to get into home recording by using my laptop.

More often then not I'll just be recording acoustic guitar and vocals. However sometimes there will be an electric guitar, and a bass, and maybe keyboard. I plan on using drum tracks when they are needed.

Should I get a mixer, similar to this one http://cgi.ebay.ca/Behringer-UB1202-Mixer-Mixers-Eurorack-Brand-NEW_W0QQitemZ7404978442QQcategoryZ41472QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

or should I get an interface similar to this
http://cgi.ebay.ca/M-AUDIO-FAST-TRACK-USB-MIC-STUDIO-BUNDLE-0-SHIP-NEW_W0QQitemZ7404753292QQcategoryZ41784QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The M-Audio package looks nice, with the interface, mic, stand, cable, and software. I don't know what to think about the effects though. I can't see them being that great. They would sparringly be used for bass I think. I have a V-amp for my guitars, so they are taken care off, but I wouldn't know what to do for mics/bass/keys.

What do you guys think? I don't want to shell out tons of money because I'm heading to university in the fall, and don't have money to burn, so I want to make this purchase count.

Should I go for a mixer and a mic, or the Fast Track studio?

Thanks,

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Don't worry about effects, you'll probably want to add them after recording the track. Both ways will work in any case and you'll find plenty of people here that went with either of these options.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Actually, I think it's best to have both. Having the two with help mold your sound and also and more importantly control over your sound.

But if I had to pick one, it would be an audio interface to cancel out your soundcard. I've heard some “iffy” things about the fast track, but I haven't checked back on that recently, so you might want to look that up. I have the MobilePre (@ $150) and it serves me well, it has phantom power as well.

You can always pick up a small mixer for now for cheap. You might want to pick up a DI box for the acoustic.

So, if you have @ $250. You could get The MobilePre (or something else in the same price range) for $150, a small mixer for $50 and a DI box for $50. Then again you need cables so figure @ $300.

What is your budget?

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I don't plan on using the effect software that comes with the FastTrack, so I guess that changes my question a bit. What is a good method to go if I want to record directly from my V-amp. I don't know what kind of soundcard is on my laptop, but it's a Dell Inspiron 6400.

http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspn_6400?c=ca&cs=CADHS1&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

I like the idea of the Fast Track Studio coming with the mic/stand/cable. That is something that I figure will save me quite a bit of money.

However, a mixer and a mic seems to be a good way to go also. I would like to record my acoustic through the V-amp and with a mic at the same time to get a bit more tone control.

People here seemed to always rave about getitng a mixer, is that still the way to go?

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I have both the Behringer UB802 mixer and the M-Audio Buddy Interface. The mixer is primarily used to connect everything in one place. I tweak the EQ sometimes but I usually keep it neutral. Plus I use it as a volume control for everything (amp, guitar, effects, computer playback, etc).

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

^Do you use the run vocals into the mixer or do they go through M-Audio Buddy Interface?
I'm kind of worried about how well a mic will work through the mixer as opposed to an interface. The V-Amp manual says you can run a mic through that, but it doesn't seem like it would work that well. So would I be losing out putting the mic directly into the mixer, or could I shape the sound well enough from there?

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

^Do you use the run vocals into the mixer or do they go through M-Audio Buddy Interface?
I'm kind of worried about how well a mic will work through the mixer as opposed to an interface. The V-Amp manual says you can run a mic through that, but it doesn't seem like it would work that well. So would I be losing out putting the mic directly into the mixer, or could I shape the sound well enough from there?

I haven't started singing yet but I do have my mic going to the mixer. Then I have the Right & Left channels of the mixer going out to Input 1 and Input 2 (respectively) of the M-Audio Budy. There may be a better setup but this works for me.

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

How would I go about connecting a mixer, (like the one from the original post) into my laptop. What kind of cables and adapters would I need?

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

How would I go about connecting a mixer, (like the one from the original post) into my laptop. What kind of cables and adapters would I need?

Either RCA (red & white) to 1/8 or 1/4 trs to 1/8 depending one how you route your cables. I use the tape out (RCA jacks) to the laptop. But You could also go from the Main Output (1/4 trs) to the laptop as well. There are several ways to do it. Only you can decide which is best for your situation. Here is how I have mine set up (I made some slight modifications with the addition of the pedals but for the most part it's still the same. The only other thing not shown is the mic but that is self explanatory.

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

The Behringer FAQ, says that you shouldn't send the mixer into the microphone input on the computer. I don't think that my laptop has a line in, there is a headphones jack and a mircophone one. Can I work around this?

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

The Behringer FAQ, says that you shouldn't send the mixer into the microphone input on the computer. I don't think that my laptop has a line in, there is a headphones jack and a mircophone one. Can I work around this?

Look at my picture again...it doesn't go to the microphone jack. It goes to the LINE IN jack. On a laptop it's actually the same jack but in your Sound Settings you switch it to Line In.

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Look at my picture again...it doesn't go to the microphone jack. It goes to the LINE IN jack. On a laptop it's actually the same jack but in your Sound Settings you switch it to Line In.

Okay thanks. I'm new to laptops I just got mine a few weeks ago. I didn't know the line in & mic jacks were the same. Thanks Mike!

ReplyQuote