Clear all

Digital Input Too Low

11 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

This is the third time I've tried to write this. Trying to make long story a short one.

My problem is this. I have a Boss GT-6. Running Digital Out into PC's Digital In (Realtek hdwe and sftwe) via a Digital Coax cable. Realtek and Microsoft are having a bit of a problem, so the exe that manages the settings for the digital system will not work and no CURRENT hotfix without uninstalling service packs, etc.

So, what I was wondering is this. Is there a piece of software or guitar toy that can act as a pass through object, so to speak, that will allow me to increase the volume going into my PC? I can do on my GT-6 (patch level) just fine, but it's CRANKED when that happens. If I switch to amp by accident, I'll blow a window out. Also, it has to be done on a per patch basis. The master level doesn't get it high enough.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

perhaps you are looking for a digital interface, like a firewire or USB connected interface.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

It's gotta exist. Something that captures the signal and ups the properties that manage the volume/strength. I mean, the software that comes with the system can do that. None of that stuff is proprietary, right?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

with my recording program I use the mixer to boost an instrument. but I sense this isn't what you mean.
so I am going to shut up.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Actually, close. A piece of hardware that does it before the software gets ahold of it. Audacity can and does boost the instrument level, but it does not GET a signal strong enough to begin to make it sound good. (that recording I PM'd you with was done analog via headphone out to line in, and speakers on PC muted.)

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

rparker, at the risk of sounding dumb here - if I understand you correctly, you aren't looking for something like a pre-amp to boost the signal are you? Are you connecting to the soundcard line in?

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

rparker, have you set the "output select" function to Line level, and have you tried adjusting the output level knob on the back of the unit? I don't know if those have any impact on the digital out, and the manual doesn't say, but it's worth a shot if you haven't looked at those.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

rparker, at the risk of sounding dumb here - if I understand you correctly, you aren't looking for something like a pre-amp to boost the signal are you? Are you connecting to the soundcard line in?

Could be. I'm under the impression that signal strength is not the prob though. It sounds like the soundcard's volume setting is hosed and can't be adjusted. It's got a weird power presence to it. (??)

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

rparker, have you set the "output select" function to Line level, and have you tried adjusting the output level knob on the back of the unit? I don't know if those have any impact on the digital out, and the manual doesn't say, but it's worth a shot if you haven't looked at those.

I've tried Line Phones and Line PA. I don't have line level. I did try the output level knob. It does what's advertised. You can really hear the power, but the volume is just far too low for the power sent in.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Just as a test; can you patch a regular guitar amp into your sound card via. line out/line in & get a normal level? That is what I do when I want to record along with backing trax already on my pc.

If that would work okay, I guess that would point to a line issue with the output of the Boss unit. I have not used that particular unit, so I don't have any experience with it, other than reading over the manual online. You would surely think that the line level out of it (the Boss unit) would be correct for your recording purposes though.

If the amp test doesn't cut it, I guess that would point to a sound card issue, drivers, etc. I have had some prob. w/ sound cards in the past, went thru a couple until I got one that behaved properly with my system. This are the kinds of problems that you pull your hair out over! :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Just as a test; can you patch a regular guitar amp into your sound card via. line out/line in & get a normal level? That is what I do when I want to record along with backing trax already on my pc.

If that would work okay, I guess that would point to a line issue with the output of the Boss unit. I have not used that particular unit, so I don't have any experience with it, other than reading over the manual online. You would surely think that the line level out of it (the Boss unit) would be correct for your recording purposes though.

If the amp test doesn't cut it, I guess that would point to a sound card issue, drivers, etc. I have had some prob. w/ sound cards in the past, went thru a couple until I got one that behaved properly with my system. This are the kinds of problems that you pull your hair out over! :mrgreen:

I've got Boss to PC via headphone out to line in (analog, not the digital) and I get desired volume & stuff. I know it's a hardware setting in the soundcard's management software. It's just that the management software will not run with the service pack of windoze I'm running.

Ahhhh, but wait. You might have triggered me onto something. If Realtek stores that value in the registry or an ini file, I can edit it directly and even write a stupid VB app using the WIN32 API (at worst if registry) or fso if ini file........ jeez, stay on painkillers for 7 months and you forget you're a programmer.

Roy

ReplyQuote