Clear all

Direct recording into Laptop

13 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I've been using my Samson G-Track to record my guitar into my computer.....after reading a topic on Hear Hear and I think it was dogbite who recorded it directly into the computer input, I thought "why that's so simple, why do I have to use anything if I'm just recording clean?"

Well, now I've got to go back and re-record all the MP3's I did for this BOSE project because it sounds great! The volume is there, no white noise, minimal finger noise. Why is it the best solution requires the least amount of equipment, and is staring me right in the face, but it didn't even register? :lol: :lol:

So thanks for recording straight into the PC and saying something about it, it would have never occurred to me.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Mmmm... I think Dogbite uses also an interface. When we were recording one our songs he had a problem with the device and he had to fix it.

There is a problem of "levels" between the guitar output and the computer input. It depends on the guitar output but it could be possible you damage the computer input. When I record straight I always use a multi-fx or something like that (lately a Korg Pandora).

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hmmm....okay

when I checked the levels going into the computer, they didn't peak at all if that's what you mean. But I'm always getting some sort of noise and have to bump up the levels as well. I didn't have to do that this time. I'll have to experiment some more.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I did a similar question and somebody recommended to use always one of those devices or multi-fx but I don't find the link. The impedances in each side also are important. Please, wait for a second opinion. :(

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Guitar output alone is far too low for a computer to do anything with, you need to boost the signal and change the impedance, which is also wrong for a computer input.

I use a mixer, which sits on my desk, permanently connected to my PC. If I want to attach anything, for recording, I plug it into my mixer - no grovelling behind the PC to find the right connector, for me.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@lue42)
Reputable Member

I have plugged mine in at times via my headphone amp (Vox Amplug). Works fine... you just have to really careful about the levels.

My Fingerstyle Guitar Blog:
http://fsguitar.wordpress.com

My Guitars
Ibanez Artwood AWS1000ECE-NT
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary Edition
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well, I've got a 1/4" out from my guitar to 1/8" into my MIC INPUT into my computer. The levels aren't peaking at all, no overmodulated sound at all

http://www.box.net/shared/42sovaar6t

http://www.box.net/shared/gy35bux968

So if I just need to be careful of the levels of the guitar then I can do that at the guitar and EQ on the guitar.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I ended up going from headphones out on my processor to microphone in on my PC. I could never get the sound card to deal with it digitally the proper way and found many threads of others having problems with different units. Then a few months later it just dawned on me to try the headphone -> mic thing out. The simple things...... :D

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

So heres the deal with my MIC input. It seems that it has two settings and can auto-detect whether or not it's a microphone or not.

When I mic is plugged in it let's me know there is a mic plugged in...but when a DEVICE is plugged in it switches it's settings and selects a DEVICE IN setting, so that it handles the input differently. Kind of interesting.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I have a USB interface. It didn't cost much, $30, but it works well. I plug my tape outs from my mixer into it.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

The reason that most people recommend not using the computer's built-in soundcard for recording is that the quality of them is often unpredictable. Some are good, many are crap.

If you happen to have a good one, then there's no reason to not use it.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Behringer also has a box to directly connect your guitar to the USB socket

http://www.behringer.de/EN/Products/UCG102.aspx

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I noticed that one and with that you wouldn't need a mixer.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote