Clear all

Distorted sound when recording electric guitar

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@ricki)
Topic starter  

Hi everybody!
I'm trying to record my electric guitar with a mic. The mic is plugged in to my mixerboard where an invisible preamp is located. The mixerboard out is plugged in to the line in of the computer.

The problem is that the sound sounds fine when I listen to it in the headphones (which is plugged into the mixers control room out), but when I record it on the computer the sound is allwas distorted. I've tried setting levels and all that, but it seems nothing help. Of course the guitar is not outputting a distorted sound.

What should I do? Any ideas?

(@jonnyt)
Reputable Member

There should be an input control in the software that you are using on your computer.  Make sure that the peak level of sound input does not exceed 80%.  You can always increase the volume of the recording later.

Hope this helps.

E doesn't = MC2, E = Fb

Music "Theory"? "It's not just a theory, it's the way it is!"

Jonny T.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Perhaps you should try to adjust the levels at both the mixing board and the "line in" on the sound card driver. You may also want to plug the headphones in to the "line out" of the computer/sound card rather than the mixing board.

I hope you resolve the problem without much strife.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Make sure you are plugging in to line level inputs.  You should have two input choices, line and mic.  make sure you pick the right one.

ReplyQuote