Notifications
Clear all

Garageband

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@psychokandy)
Topic starter  

So I'm trying to set up a home studio, and am wondering if Garageband is a good DAW for getting some decent recordings or if I should invest in something like ProTools. In terms of hardware I'm using a Marshall AVT50 Combo amp and an Apex 435 wide diaphragm condenser.

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

The main GarageBand advantage is that it is very easy to use and it has lots of funny sounds that you can use in your mix (drums, strings, keyboards, etc.). Perhaps it could be limited depending on you want to do. For home recording it could be an option. I use it and also Cubase LE.

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

If you can...do what I did not too long ago.

I was as good as it gets in any analogue studio. Spent decades in the best of them...but the Digital Age "happened" so I figured I'd do something about it. You mentioned ProTools. Me, too. BEST of all worlds of what's out there. Bought the software and ancillary gear...but they came with freakin' PHONE book sized instructions, didn't they???

So I found a community college and PAINFULLY endured about 14 months of classes.

Now I get to quit complaining about it.

Take the same course. It's a number one bummer, to be sure.

BUT!!! You'll certainly know what's going on in the digital world...what works...and what's best for your own goals.

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Welcome, psychokandy,
As Nuno said, you can be up and recording in GB in minutes. It's dead simple and quite a powerful app.
If someday in the future, you want to move to a more sophisticated DAW, both Logic and Logic Express can open GB projects. Dont't know if ProTools can, but I doubt it.
I think the most important thing is to just get recording, so start with GB and see how it goes.
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

It's absolutely nonsense to go the ProTools way unless you either have way too much money to spare or you're trying to earn a living with what you do. Don't over-complicate things and just start with GB. You'll have to learn the basics of mixing and GB will work great for it. As said you can always upgrade later (and don't worry about project-file compatibility, you can always just export each track and re-import it, usually a better idea anyway as different DAWs will interpretate things differently anyway.

ReplyQuote