Clear all

Going Into The Studio...

26 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@zacharias)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

My band is going into the studio to record a demo, pro-bono because the producer enjoyed our music and offered to record us. This guy has produced some pretty big bands, (Rush being one of them) and we are all a bit nervous lol.
Any advice on making the proccess easier or faster, or just generally any tips would be helpful...
Thanks!

Zacharias Wolf

geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

No tips, but definately some congrats. Have fun with that one. The one time I recorded in a studio it was a LOT of fun. Except the pressure of time.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@thetallcoolone)
Estimable Member

No advice here either but lotsa congrats.

From what I could gather, from reading and listening to others that have done this, time is of the essence here.
So just be sure everyone knows their part very well and that your equipment works.
If the time you take is simply to adjust your sound for the recording (what works live might not work very well in studio) then you should be fine.

Now go and make a killer demo.
C ya at the top of the charts! :D

http://www.soundclick.com/thetallcoolone

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

Congrats and good luck on the demo.

The only advice I have is to try to relax and have fun, and don't forget any of your equipment (don't ask why I added the last part :oops: )

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Congrats. My only advice: Practice. Nothing worse than going in and wasting a lot of time with mistakes. Be overcritical with yourselves when you practice. It'll make the studio session go that much easier. The other thing is: don't forget the little people. And, don't forget to drop in after you sign that record deal.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@zacharias)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks!
We go into the studio on the 29th, we're practicing 3 times a week until then, (we would practice more but I would shred my voice before recording).
Once the recording is done I'll post up a track or two so you guys and gals can hear. I'm so glad I'm the vocalist, all I have to bring is my acoustic, a few sets of spare strings, and myself, lol.
Cheers,
Wolf

Zacharias Wolf

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Wow, congrats! That's really no small thing at all.

I don't have any musical tips, but I have one general one: Time is never your friend when you're trying to get something down, so if your producer asks you to do something, just do it. Worry about why later.

If he asks you to sing a part standing on your head nakid, remember that he's good enough to produce for Rush and that he probably knows something you don't - that's why he's the producer. You can ask him what that something was when you're done and the upside-down-nakid take is safely in the bag... :wink:

I'm looking forward to hearing it.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

That is so cool! We want autographed copies.

We'll be looking for you to post on the 30th with all the details of how it went.

Knock 'em dead, break a leg, best of luck, and all that good stuff! 8)

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Have fun & enjoy the experience! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I knew one band that went into the studio and there was the attitude that they've finally 'made it' into a professional studio and that things would be 'okay' now. They perhaps didn't treat it as seriously as they could have. It came out okay, but it could've been better. They didn't quite treat it as they would have a regular paying gig, and there was a sense of 'fixing it later' in the mix.

And as was mentioned, some of the producer's suggestions were met with a bit of resistance, shall we say. Not arguments, but time-wasting discussion.

As I said, it came out pretty good, but it could've been better. I think part of it also had to do with how alien the recording studio environment can be. It's about the same difference going from bedroom practice to actually playing in front of people, and if you've never done it before, just...be prepared for the fact that you might not be as prepared as you thought.

And not musically. You should have the parts totally down pat - goes without saying. It's just that the atmosphere can be pretty 'alien' I think is the best way to say it. Step out onto an actual stage, and it's prett alien for the first set; step into a recording studio and the difference from the stage can be a little unsettling at first.

But...do it and find out how it is. You should be fine!

Break a leg. :)

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

and drink whiskey from the bottle, stand on the furniture and say slur rude things...
oh wait, that's after you made it big.
congrads on your studio op.
relax and remember you deserve it.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Along with Demo's comments. Hopefully you have a tactful producer. Remember that the producer has considerably more experience than you do. Don't be afraid to accept direction. Even if you think he is leading you down a path that is not necessarily the way you want to go. Listen and at least try out his ideas. If you do end up selling the platinum albums, then you can start taking the project into your own direction. Until then take advantage of the experience of others.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@zacharias)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Update: It's 8 AM in Toronto and I'm going into the studio at 11:00, I'm going to be there for 30 hours :shock: . I'll let you know how it went when I get back.
Thanks guys,
Cheers!

-Wolf

Zacharias Wolf

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

30 hours. :shock:

Hope it all goes well for you.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

Good Luck!

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2