19 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Nick,

First, I didn't think you came across as snippy. So, no apology needed. You have been very helpful and I thank you for taking the time to help me and everyone else on this site for that matter.

Second, I've been playing for alittle over a year (14 months I think). I've always loved every aspect of music and am now trying to make music.

I understand what you are saying about waiting for my vocals to come around. I just thought that I was missing something and doing something wrong. I guess I just wanted to know if I should keep pursueing my vocals as I really enjoy singing. I just need more practice at it.

I guess it stems from my friends laughing at me when I say I'm trying to sing as well as play guitar and they say, " you don't look like a singer" ..........I guess it's time to prove them wrong.

Thank you

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

I find that a lot of people tend to sing slightly flat even when they think they are hitting the notes, until they have learned a song. Part of this might be hearing your voice through your head bones causes you to hear it differently. Try singing while listening through headphones, it can make it easier to know when you have to adjust pitch.

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

First of all, you waver in and out of tune. A little practice would help. Try soloing you vox in sonar and listen. You will hear that you're often flat.

Second; back away from the mic and use a pop filter. . When your volume comes up you can hear the strain on the capsule of your mic. Optimal distance is between 6-12 inches away from the mic. Using a condensor on voice without a pop filter is a big no no. The capsule is very sesitive and can easily be ruined by too much air pressure on it. I'm not talking about sound pressure. I mean your breathing.

Third; Sing it like you mean it. Almost guranteed Cobain was singing with a mild scream almost. The inflections in your voice should be intentional. Sing it like it was your own story. You are restraining you voice which may be why you are ending up flat in some spots.

A slight reverb will help. You don't need to do all that duplicating just use the reverb as a send effect rather than an insert that way you can mix from the effect source. Chorus and flange will only make your mistakes more obvious as they tend to sharpen highs. You can however duplicate your vox with a slight delay. Do this by physically advancing or retarding the track ever so slightly Make sure you zoom in for this you don't want to be able to hear any noticeable delay. You can dup tracks like this a few times to fatten up your vox. It's very similar to chorus but much more effective and natural sounding. Mix the vox tracks adding a track at a time.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Second; back away from the mic and use a pop filter. .

Third; Sing it like you mean it. Almost guranteed Cobain was singing with a mild scream almost. The inflections in your voice should be intentional. Sing it like it was your own story. You are restraining you voice which may be why you are ending up flat in some spots.

As for the Second, I am doing all of the above. @ a foot away and using the Groove Tubes PF-1 Pop Filter (that puppy alone cost me 50 bucks!!!).

How close should the pop filter be away from the mic?....... I have it @ 2-3 inches away.

As for the Third, that is something I am working on. Cobain "sounds" like he isn't putting much into it but, as you stated, he probably is.

I've been singing the song at work and in the truck. My friend told me to put a finger in my left ear and hum a tune. He said that doing that will give me a better understanding of my voice so, I've been doing that as well.

It's a work in progress I guess. But, I'm determined to do this!!!

slothrob,

Thanks for the advise. I'm going to wear my headphones next time.

Thank you everyone for all the great tips and honest responces.

Mike

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2