How To Work with Effects Sends/Returns

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@matsuemon)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey homies,
I'm no stranger to basic recording/editing and effects, but one thing I hear a lot about in more advanced circles is effects sends and returns, for instance: EQ'ing a reverb or panning a mono reverb return, stuff like that. Can you guys just talk about some of the tricks and methods you use to do those kinds of things, particularly focusing on software methods (since that's what I use) or explain in a way that I could apply it to software recording. Basically, I'm not sure exactly when I should use effects sends/returns or how I might go about it.

As I understand it, an effect return essentially becomes a track in and of itself, which can then be panned or processed however you want. Maybe I'm way off, but just give me some ideas or examples if you want.

--Jason

(@hueseph)
Noble Member

It differs depending on what software you're using. They all generally do the same thing but you may need to approach sends in a different way for each DAW. What software are you using?

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@matsuemon)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well, I'm evaluating several different ones right now (Reaper, N-Studio, Mixcraft). As far as I can tell, Reaper may be the only one of those three that can do that kind of thing. I'm trying to figure out how to do some of this stuff so I can decide which software to get (to make sure it CAN do it).

ReplyQuote