Clear all

i hate garageband please help

11 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

how come when i record on garageband the volume comes out real low? like what i'm recording is far away. it wasn't always like this. i don't know what setting to change. all the volume sliders are up all the way, etc....

(@hueseph)
Noble Member

What are you using to record into Garageband?

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member

Don't know if this is it, but....

Open up System Prefs, and look at your sound preferences. Under the "Input" tab, make sure that your input level slider isn't way down.

I don't know Garage Band, I just use AudioX, but if the input level is slid down in system prefs you can slide the AudioX levels all the way up and all you'll get is the max that the system pref setting is letting through.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hueseph, I think she was using a M-audio box, I think a FW one. I remember an old thread in which she asked a similar question and you gave a solution by means of a compressor effect.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

but I still have the same problem.

I've decided though, that Im going to find a Garageband class because I don't know what is going on with this thing. I can't get the sound to come out of the speakers but I used to be able to, I can't get the recording volume loud, I can't always record voice and guitar at the same time, but sometimes I can and I don't know what I doing different each time. So before I throw this entire setup out the window, I'm going to find a class.

It is a Firewiwre Solo, btw.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Perhaps a book also could be useful. At work I use a lot of O'Really books. I was purchasing several books last week and I was browsing a book on GB. It is not the same book... or the same cover but check it up, perhaps it could be useful:

http://safari.oreilly.com/0596100353

Good luck!

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Pearl: before you go spending money, check and make sure youre audio settings haven't been changed in your system settings. You may have turned down your input or even your playback volume inadvertently. Check that first then post back. These minor hickups are a great way to learn how to troubleshoot.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

everything is turned up. there is a free workshop on Garageband tomorrow at the Apple store. I'm going to go to that. They probably want people in so they can sell them something else, but I'll go see anyway. I may be able to pick up a tip or two.

ReplyQuote
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member

I've been fiddling around with getting audio into my Mac the last few days and ran across something a couple days ago might be of some use. Maybe not, but maybe so....

For reference, OSX, 10.4.11 on a c.2001 G4-466. No mic input on this model, you have to either put in a sound card or use an external mic interface. I use the latter, a Griffin iMic USB sound I/O adapter.

I was getting 1) really low level and 2) snap-crackle-pop like frying eggs.

I found that I needed to use the Audio MIDI Setup utility (Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup) to set the iMic's sampling rate and mode. Changing it in the sound application I'm using didn't do the trick.

Seems like input levels are universally controlled - change them in the application you're using, or in Sound Prefs, or in the Audio MIDI Setup and they change everywhere else too. (I posted to this thread a few days ago suggesting otherwise and it turns out that I was wrong, wrong, wrong).

But setting the recording mode to 41.000khz, 16bit Stereo in the application's preferences DIDN'T change those settings in Audio MIDI setup for the iMic. Result: The iMic was sending sound in at a different sampling rate than the application was expecting and there was a mismatch.

I've been trying to record using an SM-57. This setup got it to work. Now, I still am not happy with the level I'm getting - I'm having to fight with not enough gain, too much noise, pushing the mic too hard while trying to keep the input gain low enough to not add too much hiss - but it's better than it was.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

i got it working. it was fine yesterday. i come back today and no sound. i've checked everything plus nothing changed from yesterday to today. I just hate this whole process.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Strange... When the thing works intermittently... Maybe there is a problem with the drivers, could you try to update them? Or even a problem with the cable or M-audio unit.

ReplyQuote