Notifications
Clear all

mastering/engineering/producing

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@ghorn)
Topic starter  

Ok, heres a newbie question. what exactly do these terms mean? I hear them refered to all over the place, but dont know exactly what they mean - I have put down my basic udnerstanding of what I know.
Could be good for a Beginners FAQ...

recording: record music to tape or digital..

mixing: playing with the equalisers to get teh sound you want

layering: using more than one audio track, playing one on top of another

mastering?

engineering?

producing?

any other terms I should know???

i p i p r m

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Engineering: the process of recording and mixing.

Mastering: The process of adjusting the final recording so it sounds good on a lower-fidelity system than is found in the studio (eg radio or boom-box).  Usually involves additional compression and EQ.  There's more to it than that...

Producing: The entire process, except that the Producer is the person who manages the money and scheduling for the entire process, including hiring talent and technicians, and lots of little details.  Usually, the Exec Producer is contributing his own money, and the Producer is helping him spend it.

Got it?

Laz

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Actually mixing doesn't have to involve eq. Mixing is adjusting levels of multiple audio tracks on order to attain a balance or to acheive a certain sound. Steely Dan's aja recorded and mixed w/o any eq.

Engineering: the art of maintaining fidelity of sound from source to speaker or recording media. Also the manipulating of sound in order to achieve a desired effect.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote