Clear all

MP3 songs to Chords

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
10.1 K Views
(@mark-g)
Topic starter  

I have been looking for a bit to find a software that can import an mp3 and transpose the music to a staff using chords or regular tablature. I have been working with GP5 and Cakewalks Music Creator but all I get is midi. any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Mark

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The only one I know is Audioscore from the same people as Sibelius. Costs over $200, though.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@artemis99)

I checked out Audioscore and It seems to only transcribe to standard music notation. What about us folks who dont read music and rely on tab? Please help!! :cry:

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

There won't be one out there.

It's hard enough to get software that will do transcriptions (sound to standard notation) - because of the overtones produced by instruments, every package I've tried has made a lot of mistakes. I haven't tried any in the last few years, and they've no doubt gotten better.... but even if they were perfect, taking pitch to tab is a whole 'nother ball game.

If you have a pitch, a piano can play it in ONE place. A guitar can play most pitches in at least two - some in five. So with 3-4 possible ways to produce the average pitch, you'd need the software to not only accurately identify the note, but to then store it... compare it to the pitches around it... and then work out a logical fingering. The software would have to do all that up-front, before it could render a tab.

Developing something like that would be extremely expensive. I'd guess a software company would have to charge $1,000+ for a copy to cover the development costs. And I doubt there are enough tab-only guitarists who would want to invest that much.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

There is SW "Digital Music Mentor" http://www.sienzo.com/ that will extract Chords and Bass Tabs from a .MP3 file.
The bass tabs are pretty accurate but chord extraction is not perfect, it will show more chords than there is.
But if you you use your ears to listen for actual the chords changings, the SW can be very useful.
/Kalle

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@mark-g)
Topic starter  

Thanks to all of you as the information we get here at Guitar noise is always useful and helps tons
Mark G

ReplyQuote