Clear all

Mystery soundcard hiss and noises

21 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Hi Margaret
What brand/type of PC do you have and how old is it ?
If it has a "cheap" soundcard function/solution integrated on the motherboard I can think that you can get the "noise" problem you have.

I have a integrated soundcard function on the NVidia motherboard in my "Mini-tower size" PC that works rather good but has some limitations.
I have also a separate low cost (< 30 $) soundcard (Soundblaster Live! 24bit) that I normally use for all my recordings.
It is far from the best for recording use , but it gives good enough recording quality for my use.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Our computer is an HP Pavilion a345w, about two years old, (or is it three?), with an onboard Realtek AC97 soundcard. I'm sure it's all bottom-of-the-line, as it was an el cheapo setup from a big box retailer.

I don't do that much live recording (I can barely stand to listen to my guitar playing live, let alone face the harsh reality of it recorded and played back), so I can't justify purchasing a very expensive soundcard, but maybe the Soundblaster Live would suit my purposes.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Hi Margaret
I checked yor PC on the HP homepage and its data is even better than my PC, but mine seems to have a better integrated soundcard funktion.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?lc=en&cc=us&lang=en&docname=bph07845&dlc=en&product=383638 &
You can find the latest XP driver for Realtek AC97 soundcard here http://www.arbor.com.tw/support/driver/EmETX-i701.htm

My guess is that a separate PCI soundcard similar to the one I use will be better than the integrated Realtek AC97 you have in your PC.

Kalle
Our computer is an HP Pavilion a345w, about two years old, (or is it three?), with an onboard Realtek AC97 soundcard. I'm sure it's all bottom-of-the-line, as it was an el cheapo setup from a big box retailer.

I don't do that much live recording (I can barely stand to listen to my guitar playing live, let alone face the harsh reality of it recorded and played back), so I can't justify purchasing a very expensive soundcard, but maybe the Soundblaster Live would suit my purposes.

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

So here's my next question, Kalle.....

Thinking about the GN online jam collaborations:

Could a person record using the KAE/Asio4All, and then submit their segment to a host who is using Audacity to make the final version?

Put another way, would the file made with KAE/Asio4All be compatible with Audacity?

Would the end result from the KAE/Asio4All session be a regular mp3?

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Hi Margaret
The answer is yes.
As you normally use good quality .mp3 file format (44.1kHz, 128 kbit/s) to send between "artist" and "host" it will work.

Last jam I was in, I used KAE for recording (in wave format) and used another free SW (wave pad) to convert .wave to .mp3 and then smokingdog used another SW (maybe Audacity) to do the final mix.
And in the Santana jam I hosted I used yet another SW (samplitude) for final mix and I know that the jam members had used Audacity and other SW for recording...

A minor problem with KAE is that it can´t export to .mp3 format (license reason !!!), but I have earlier used Audacity for .wave-> .mp3 conversion of the final mix (import .wave-> export to .mp3) and it worked fine.

N.B. All recording SW normally convert files to .wave format when they import a file.
And all recordings results in .wave format files that are manipulated inside the recording SW.
It is just when you export the file that you convert it to .mp3 file format.

ReplyQuote
(@marshallscottw)
Estimable Member

...Look. Bish. I'm not being rude at all but the location of his Soundcard and his power supply has NOTHING to do with it. Soundcards or any connectable card that is designed to be inserted into a PC's motherboard has built on electrical conductors on the outer shell or external side of the device. Hence.. Your reply has nothing to do with this his problem.
I could be wrong but this sounds exactly like this.

I assume you installed this new Soundcard by yourself, as in it's not 'Stock'.
Ok.
Sometimes when installing a new device, you have to disable your old device.
If you don't.. then your devices operation doesnt work at all. or you get a repeat or copy of the sound by the old or new device.
I rephrase this to make it sound more understandable.

Ok, you installed a new Soundcard. this means you have two Soundcards.
if your old one is not disabled then..
Let's say you're playing a song.
You'll hear it through your new Soundcard then it will be immediately repeated by your old one. creating a really crappy delay effect. as for the hiss you described.. I'd say turn your mic volume down.

"You're a God among insects. Never let anyone tell you differenately." -Magneto, XMen

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2