Notifications
Clear all

new studio but no know how.....help please

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@swansong1098)
Topic starter  

today i got myself a whole studio completed. i built out my attic and got all the stuff for christmas. what i got was an MBOX which came with a lot of software and stuff. i also got 2 MXL mics (the 990 and 991 kit). i don't know where to start. none of the software seems to be working neither do the mics. the mics didn't even work just in a normal PA. is this b/c they are for the studio and are run of the computer power or something? id really like to use them for live situations. im just confused right now. any advice or tips would be helpful

(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

The mics require phantom power, you might have to flick a switch somewhere on your PA or mixer to turn that on. On the MBox, it's that little buttom on the back that's labelled "48V" (a little red light should come on in the front). Try pushing that and listening through some headphones, you should hear something. Otherwise, these mics will work anywhere. They are condensor mics, though, so generally well suited to picking up the nuances of a studio situation and less fit for the rigors of a stage.

The ProTools software that comes with their hardware can be a bit of a pain to get running. The first problem that most people run into is that they use a copywrite protection scheme that requires you to have the hardware (the MBox in your case) connected to run the software. You can't run the software, even for editing, without the hardware connected.

ProTools has a bit of a steep leaening curve, but it is an industry standard and a powerful program; stick with it.

ReplyQuote
(@swansong1098)
Topic starter  

when i did the 48v thing on the mbox my computer said there was a power surge and the mbox turned off i think. im not sure. these things are very confusing

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

It sounds as though you have connected the mic to the output and the PC to the input - causing it to complain about a power surge. Check every one of your connections very carefully.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

The MBox should connect through the USB on the computer while the mic should go into the XLR on the back.
You also might want to start with the volumes down at first, so you don't send a strong signal through when you turn the power on.

Any luck with the headphones?

ReplyQuote