Clear all

oh no not this confused again!

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@sapho)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

My first experience in the studio was not nice. I felt like a prisoner. I knew my material inside out but I was in fear the whole time. 4 hours. 12 songs. I was exhausted at the end and couldn't wait to get out of there. Now I'm told that I have to have it mastered. I need to have a CD writer installed in my computer to run off copies which my audience members are requesting. I do not like these people who are making a living off of the artist. I just want to go away to a guitar retreat and learn. I never intended to be part of any 'business'. Art and business are two entirely opposite ends of the spectrum. Business corrupts art. Art patronage is part of cultural heritage. It's done out of a sense of integrity and love of beauty. Call me 'old-fashioned', possums, but that's my take on it. I won't go back to that studio because he just wants money. I felt pressured to make a professional CD because people were asking me for one. Otherwise I wouldn't have done it. It was a completely demoralizing experience and I'm not satisfied with the outcome.

Portamento - The ability to move from a wrong note to the right one without anyone noticing the original mistake.
Harmonics - The buzzing sound that string instruments make.
Impromptu - A carefully worked out composition.

(@hueseph)
Noble Member

4 hours-12 songs? Yeah I'd call that pressure. You should've just locked out the studio for the day. It probably wouldn't cost you much more. I can't imagine finishing one song in four hours, let alone four days. Do you have a track we could listen to? Doesn't hurt to ask.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@sapho)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

To send a track online don't I need to have it converted to MP3 or something like that? I only have the CD that he gave me when I left the studio. And until I get the CD writer-driver installed no copies available. I'm looking for someone to master it. My style is love ballads-folk-roots on classical guitar. I did 2-3 takes straight through for each song. Ten songs are less than 2-4 minutes. 2 songs are just over the 4 minute mark. Four are my own compositions in English. Eight are standards - 4 in French, 1 in Spanish, and 3 in English. Listening to it I'd like to jazz it up with percussions or strings. In a year's time I hope to be evolving into an edgier sound.

Portamento - The ability to move from a wrong note to the right one without anyone noticing the original mistake.

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

I realize that this may be a bit late, but you might read some of the articles posted over here: http://www.musiccareers.net/studio.php

Studio owners are just like any other business, they have rent and salaries to pay, and they want to help you produce the best product possible. Some studios are better than others...

Maybe you can PM A-J or any of our other Canadian members for some references.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

What format are the songs now? Most recording software will convert them. CD burners are inexpensive now, recording software can get expensive, there is also free software that could work just as well. I don't know the names of any, someone will come along and point you in the right direction.

Yes, a studio can become intimating the first time out. It will get easier every time, then it will become second nature.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member

If you don't want to record - don't do it.

ReplyQuote
(@sapho)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Like I said I felt pressured into recording because people in my audience were actually starting to accuse me of withholding Cds from them. They couldn't believe that I hadn't recorded a Cd and that I knew not the first thing about it. I was and still am very uncomfortable with the attitudes out there of 'recording as a business.' Call me 'old-fashioned' Possums, but trying to be creative in an uncreative world is a daily struggle. Trying to keep up with technology and competition only tends to stifle my creative progress.
I'm shopping around for a new recording studio - maybe a nice comfortable castle in Ireland - not likely.
I've had positive feedback about my Cd - a French bakery/cafe is playing it in the store and they're very happy with it. So I'm glad I did it but I don't want to go through that same experience again. Hopefully next time I can be with collaborators who make it an enjoyable musical journey.
Thanks for the referrals to the websites.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

You might consider checking out home recording equipment. You can get some really great stuff (if you can afford it) or some adequate stuff for less. That way, though, you can take your time, not get stressed out and have it done the way that you want it done instead of the way the guy at the studio thinks it ought to be done. You can do take after take after take if you think you need to. And you can take an entire month to get one song down exactly how you hear it in your head, if you want to. And, the part I like best is the fact that you have to learn everything about recording. No one can talk over my head now because I know what I'm doing and I don't have to ask silly questions anymore! I can even answer a few now!

I bought a little Fostex MR8. It's an 8-track recorder (probably about $300, if I remember correctly, seems like it was on sale). I also got a Shure SM57 and a Shure SM58 mic (one for micing my acoustic guitar and one for my vocals), that's about another $200. I've got a little Mackie mixer that I bought from a friend for $150. Everything runs through my computer and I can record directly to disc or to my hard drive. And I can do my masters myself. So, as it sits right now I've got less than $700 invested in equipment that I can use as often as I want, whenever I want, however I want and I don't have to set foot inside a studio or pay anybody for the privelege of using their equipment. So, if you figure what it cost you for the four hours of studio time (plus what it's going to cost you to get it mastered), you would be SO much ahead if you had your own equipment and could do it yourself. Not to mention the freedom and peace of mind that comes from doing your own thing your own way.

Just a suggestion! It works for me! :wink:

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote