Clear all

One more question

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Okay, so here's the situation, I think I've got some good stuff going ....FINALLY!!

I'm using a Zoom R16 Mixer with 2 Samson C02 Condensor Mics

Now since I'm recording classical, it's going to be quieter than other guitars, so I've got a mic placed about 6-7 inches from teh 12th fret pointing toward the sound hole, and a mic right around the bridge area, pointing up and toward the sound hole as well.

In order to set my levels, I turn the headphones all the way up, and then set the levels to just when I start to hear some white noise hissing. I don't get extremely high levels, but I get enough that I can manipulate it so that I get good results when mastering. I was wondering if this is the right way to do it. Here are two files that I've recorded as a test

http://www.box.net/shared/zesdopplkv
http://www.box.net/shared/aepuhjlati

Any thoughts?

Thanks again for all the help in these crazy topics I've created!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Joe, I'm not an expert on mics and recording (in fact I should improve my own recordings...).

I'm using the speakers in my laptop and the sound levels seems very good. I can listen both recordings perfectly.I don't know if you used different settings but the second one seems brighter to me. Anyway the first recording sounds very good, too.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well I'm glad to hear that, the 2nd file was mixed on my new mixer and I think I placed the mics better, still working with it though.

I'm getting a bit of noise when I turn up the volume overall, but it works for me!

ReplyQuote
(@bfloyd6969)
Estimable Member

Hi Joe. have you considered normalizing the recorded audio to help bring the levels up? Perhaps this way you can record at a level just before the white noise starts and then afterwards normalize the audio to bring the volume up. I haven't had the chance to listen to your clips yet (at work right now) but still the normalizing may be an idea to try...

Why do we have to get old...

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Yeah I do a bit of processing afterwards to bring the volume up with iZotope Ozone.

It's hard for me to find a good level because with the classical guitar it's not very high. But I'm finding ways to get a good sound.

ReplyQuote